Dead Spindle Palm...Parasites? Fungus? (PICS POSTED)

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by devinrae55, May 24, 2008.

1. devinrae55

devinrae55 Member

Can someone please tell me what happpened to my fav spindle palm???? I have pics of what could be parasites on the underside of its fronds, and I also have a pic below of the base... the base began getting loose and then today i gave it a little tug and the entire trunk came up! What in the heck am I doing wrong this is the second palm that I have had that rotted from the bottom and dried from the top

Attached Files:

• 006.jpg
      006.jpg
      File size:
      81.4 KB
      Views:
    • 007.jpg
      007.jpg
      File size:
      86.7 KB
      Views:
    • 005.jpg
      005.jpg
      File size:
      159.5 KB
      Views:
    • 008.jpg
      008.jpg
      File size:
      199 KB
      Views:
  2. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

does the container the plant is in have drainage holes at the bottom? how frequently, and how much, are you watering?

3. devinrae55

devinrae55 Member

the container had 1 drainage hole and some broken pottery for drainage, I had used some soil that had no perlite and I think that was the prob. the top of the soil always felt dry to me and I felt like i rarely watered it, but yesterday when i dumped it, the soil on the bottom was too wet and probably had been like that for a while.... I rinsed the container out to remove any parasites and I planted a Meyers lemon tree in the same pot. This time I used a good amount of perlite... I love this new tree and looked everywhere to find it, so hopefully I will have better luck. But i may need terra cotta, i seem to kill anything i put in a resin pot.

4. devinrae55

devinrae55 Member

if you look closely in the first two pictures, there are little brown spiney things under the fronds, if they are parasites what's the name of them because i have tried to find out and cant.