Coquitlam

Discussion in 'VCBF Neighbourhood Blogs' started by Joseph Lin, Mar 19, 2008.

1. Yong

Yong Active Member

At Meadowvista Pl Johnson St junction, there's this tree in the private estate starting to bloom though. Kanzan or Yae-beni-shidare (more likely due to the shape of the small tree?), I can't tell the 2 apart.

Was told some may appreciate the photo with Mount Baker in the background so I'm just adding one with the mountain and the cherry tree on a sunny day :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 18, 2021
  2. Yong

Yong Active Member

And if you go further in the private estate, to the end of Meadowview Ct there's a single young Akebono that's still in bloom

Attached Files:

3. Yong

Yong Active Member

Westwood Plateau Village Shopping Mall also has a number of Akebono planted. They are at the junction of Johnson St and David Ave.

Attached Files:

4. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

'Yae-beni-shidare'.
    That looks like a very nice location. Can you get photos of the flowers? This should be a festival favourite.
    'Yae-beni-shidare' are in full bloom right now; 'Kanzan' have only some flowers open, with a lot of bronze leaves. You are allowed to take advantage of knowledge of the blooming time.
    'Yae-beni-shidare' flowers are small and hang in long umbels (or book says umbellate corymbs), with the stems all attached together at the same point. 'Kanzan' flowers are much larger and are in corymbs, with a peduncle holding the flowers stems (pedicels) at a few different points, so there's a flower stem, then 1 cm or so another flower stem. I have to say that's not very obvious in our book. The 'Choshu-hizakura' page has a good example.
    The book is Ornamental Cherries – 2014 Edition - Vancouver Cherry Blossom Festival Vancouver Cherry Blossom Festival (vcbf.ca).

5. Yong

Yong Active Member

Somei-Yoshino or Akebono in front of an apartment on Heffley Crescent at Obelisk Way

Attached Files:

Acerholic likes this.
  6. wcutler

'Akebono'. There are two flowers with extra petals (more than 5). We only know of one supposed 'Somei-yoshino' ever that seems to have some extra petals. We're not changing our rule for a young tree like this one. :)

7. Yong

Yong Active Member

And there seems to be a lone Shirotae among potential Kanzan along Anson Avenue turning in from Pinetree Way. Will figure out the potential Kanzan and update when they bloom :)

Edit: Lone Shirotae is among Shiro-fugen, not Kanzan :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 11, 2021
    Acerholic likes this.
  8. wcutler

I see on the map you said it's a row, which is a little less exciting to be a festival favourite. It looked like a grove, kind of park-like, in your photo.

9. KXD

KXD New Member

1) About 5 Akebono a bit past full bloom at 98 Laval, private community
    2) The corner of David Ave and Pipeline Rd have a cluster of Akebono and Shirotae (same set-up as other cherry trees in Town Center, around a little circle). Very few akebono left in bloom but shirotae are vey beautiful.
    3) Some amanogawa in bloom outside of a condo on Pipeline Rd. About 3-4?
    4) Some shirofugen just starting to bud, outside another condo roundabout, a little further down from #3. There are about 5-6 in this area.
    5) 4-5 kanzan lining the corner of Ponderosa and Anson, planted quite far apart from each other and definitely not a canopy of any sort.
    6) 3-4 Shirotae in full bloom on the corner of a parking lot at Schoolhouse and Lucille Star Way
    7) 2 trees at one of the parking entrances...one rancho, and one unsure. Closer to Westwood St.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 17, 2021
    Acerholic likes this.
  10. Janice Lin

Janice Lin Active Member

A new townhouse comunity planted around 20 Ama-no-gawa trees in 548 foster Ave. Maybe they are upwards and save the space, it is a new trend, but they are pretty indeed.

Ama-no-gawa_548Foster_Sunnychen_20210418_IMG_1540.jpg Ama-no-gawa_548Foster_Sunnychen_20210418_IMG_1527.jpg Ama-no-gawa_548Foster_Sunnychen_20210418_IMG_1504.jpg Ama-no-gawa_548Foster_Sunnychen_20210418_IMG_1523.jpg Ama-no-gawa_548Foster_Sunnychen_20210418_IMG_1525.jpg

Yong, Acerholic and KXD like this.
  11. Yong

Yong Active Member

I went back to double check the trees with flowers remaining - mainly the first 3 from the junction. All the flowers still don't look very frilly to me, but I'll attach the pictures here for discussion.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2021
    Acerholic likes this.
  12. wcutler

Photo four looks most like what was originally posted. I can't anything at this stage. I don't think we were questioning the ID of these, but it would be nice to see more photos. And particularly, to have good photos comparing these with the 'Accolade' that's at the end of the group.
    Next year! It's difficult when we don't really know the blooming date, but with two Coquitlam scouts, maybe we can catch these again.

Yong likes this.
  13. Yong

Yong Active Member

There are still Akebono in bloom at Johnson St Walton Ave junction, inside the church grounds.
    Akebono_JohnsonStWaltonAve_Yong_20210416_IMG_5456.JPG Akebono_JohnsonStWaltonAve_Yong_20210416_IMG_5457.JPG Akebono_JohnsonStWaltonAve_Yong_20210416_IMG_5458.JPG
    And a lone tree at Johnson St Durant Dr near bus stop.
    Akebono_JohnsonStDurantDr_Yong_20210416_IMG_5465.JPG
    Quite a number of Kanzan starting. These large ones are just outside a private estate, near one of Hoy Creek's trail exits. Along Lasalle Pl Durant Dr junction.
    Kanzan_LasallePlDurantDr_Yong_20210416_IMG_5466.JPG Kanzan_LasallePlDurantDr_Yong_20210416_IMG_5467.JPG Kanzan_LasallePlDurantDr_Yong_20210427_IMG_4901.JPG
    And another weeping cherry with small-ish flowers which I'm unfortunately unable to identify or capture due to the sun and also because it's a private planting so I don't want to get too close.
    WaterfordPlCliffroseCres_Yong_20210416_IMG_5414.JPG WaterfordPlCliffroseCres_Yong_20210416_IMG_5417.JPG WaterfordPlCliffroseCres_Yong_20210416_IMG_5416.JPG

Last edited: May 11, 2021
    Acerholic likes this.
  14. wcutler

'Yae-beni-shidare'

15. KXD

KXD New Member

These two Kanzan on Lansdowne and Foster. The black truck is blocking the view but I actually find the tree very beautifully shaped with low hanging boughs that are great for photos :)

There are trees outside a church on Glen and Lansdowne that I hope to get. I believe they are 3 shirofugen. Hopefully this week!

Attached Files:

Acerholic likes this.
  16. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Less =More, very pretty @Yong

17. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Made by nature or made by man, I know what I prefer!!

18. Yong

Yong Active Member

Thanks D and Wendy!

We took advantage of the good weather to head out and explore a bit more.

Town Centre Park has more photo spots with stairs like this one with Kanzan along David Ave..
    Kanzan_DavidAveTownCentrePark_Yong_20210420_IMG_5505.JPG Kanzan_DavidAveTownCentrePark_Yong_20210420_IMG_5506.JPG Kanzan_DavidAveTownCentrePark_Yong_20210420_IMG_5507.JPG Kanzan_DavidAveTownCentrePark_Yong_20210420_IMG_5508.JPG
    and another further East along David Ave, next flight of stairs. But I won't be adding this as there's a mix of varieties and I'm not sure if it may be messy. There are white and pink flowers in the same bunch for at least one of the trees.
    DavidAveTownCentrePark_Yong_20210420_IMG_5514.JPG DavidAveTownCentrePark_Yong_20210420_IMG_5513.JPG DavidAveTownCentrePark_Yong_20210420_IMG_5511.JPG DavidAveTownCentrePark_Yong_20210420_IMG_5510.JPG DavidAveTownCentrePark_Yong_20210420_IMG_5512.JPG
    Along Eastwood St as well, there's a nice spot (possible favourite?) with benches under a "tunnel" formed by the branches and flowers above. I suspect it's Shiro-fugen due to the green leaves and both pink and white colours. (Editing these pictures/captions to reflect that they are actually Shirotae.)
    Shirotae_EastwoodSt_Yong_20210420_IMG_5521.JPG Shirotae_EastwoodSt_Yong_20210420_IMG_5524.JPG Shirotae_EastwoodSt_Yong_20210420_IMG_5525.JPG Shirotae_EastwoodSt_Yong_20210420_IMG_5526.JPG Shirotae_EastwoodSt_Yong_20210420_IMG_5528.JPG
    Further down, along Westwood St, there are a few Kanzan along the road as well.
    Kanzan_WestwoodSt_Yong_20210420_IMG_5529.JPG

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 22, 2021
    KXD and Acerholic like this.
  19. Yong

Yong Active Member

And if you turn in to Heffley Crescent, there's an apartment with what I suspect to be Kiku-shidare-zakura along the ramp leading to their front door.
    Kiku-shidare-zakura_HeffleyCresWestwoodSt_Yong_20210420_IMG_5532.JPG Kiku-shidare-zakura_HeffleyCresWestwoodSt_Yong_20210420_IMG_5535.JPG Kiku-shidare-zakura_HeffleyCresWestwoodSt_Yong_20210420_IMG_5537.JPG
    There're also Kanzan along Glen Dr Pacific Street. The Coquitlam Square property planted many Kanzans along the perimeter, including along Atlantic Ave too.
    Kanzan_GlenDrPacificSt_Yong_20210420_IMG_5546.JPG
    And at the corner of Town Centre Blvd and Guildford Way. There's a gazebo-like thing in between which you can see in white.
    Kanzan_TownCentreBlvdGuilfordWay_Yong_20210420_IMG_5547.JPG Kanzan_TownCentreBlvdGuilfordWay_Yong_20210420_IMG_5548.JPG

Willard and Acerholic like this.
  20. wcutler

I think those are 'Shirotae' that are finished, aging red. There aren't enough petals for 'Shiro-fugen', which should not be that advanced in blooming at this point.
    I'm really interested in these. There is one pink tree in that group of finished 'Akebono', right? The pink ones are finished blooming? The flowers are all cupped as if they're opening. Maybe 'Afterglow' - pink flowers would age to white.

21. wcutler

That's a riot - 'Kiku-shidare-zakura' forming an arch. It's not over a street, but still. It even sort-of looks good.

22. Yong

Yong Active Member

Yes, you can be on the ramp and the picture looks nice :)

23. Yong

Yong Active Member

I see.. identifying the different varieties takes a lot of skill :)

Yes, only 1 pink. The pink flowers are all cupped. Don't see any buds.

24. wcutler

You are doing amazingly well for a newby. I was not nearly so comfortable naming the cultivars I found in my first year at it. I'm not finding it much easier, either. There have been a lot of postings that have been difficult for me this year. I think I'm slipping.

25. wcutler

See photos that Janice Lin posted at Killarney. There is one photo that looks similar to your photo of the pink flowers in posting #68.