Co2 Sequestration

Discussion in 'Plants: Science and Cultivation' started by Zac, Sep 22, 2013.

1. Zac

Zac New Member

Hi all, looking for general knowledge/research into the varying rates of Co2 sequestration/absorption (ie what plants absorb/sequester the most Co2 (at what rate) and the characteristics as to why they do so). Or is there a single rate of absorption for all plants?

Thanks for any help, and I can clarify if you have any questions about what I mean!

Cheers!

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Since carbon dioxide is fundamental to growth, you can use rate of growth as a proxy for general questions (what species have the highest overall growth rate?). If you need more refined answers, then you have to get in to the scholarly literature I imagine -- you'd need to tune this search a bit for your specific questions. Perhaps you could also use the references at the end of this paper to dig a bit deeper (and perhaps the paper summary also answers a few questions).

3. Barbara Lloyd

Barbara Lloyd Well-Known Member

Zac Here is another source that may be of interest to you. NASA and the Associated Landscape Contractors of America published an article that can be found via Google "Plants that clean the air". Also a book by B.C. Wolverton, PhD. "How to Grow Clean Air". barb