"Clustered Blue Chanterelle"

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by dt-van, Sep 21, 2008.

1. dt-van

dt-van Active Member 10 Years

While hiking the Stawamus Chief today we came across this neat mushroom Polyozellus multiplex (photo below). The one we found was just charcoal grey but in some photos on the web it does seem to get quite bluish. Our book (The New Savoury Wild Mushroom) said it was a good edible species so we took part of the clump but left most for others to enjoy. We checked it on the web and found that Arora and someone else considered it as indifferent in flavour, but everyone agreed that it was edible and in fact contains a chemical with important value as a treatment for stomach cancer. We tried it on bread, minced and fried with parsley and found it pleasant enough but very bland in flavour though with an attractive appearance like black olives.

Attached Files:

2. Kara

Kara Active Member

I just found a clump too! And I'm way out on the Gaspe Coast in Quebec. Going back to where I found it to take a picture today.

I did pull a small amount of what was there though, to identify it. When I found the clump it was almost dark and didn't have the camera with me.

I found it odd that my NE North American book by the Bessettes didn't list this mushroom (well technically there's a tiny mention on pg 29, but no photo), but the Audubon Society Field Guide did.

We chose to not eat it because another website described this mushroom, while edible, the taste was listed as "inferior."

[​IMG]

3. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

A wonderful looking mushroom find! I've only seen pink, orange and white ones....some can be counted on returning twice a year in certian areas. This one is beautiful! Do you know what color of spore print it has?