Pruning: Clematis chiisanensis 'Lemon Bells'

Discussion in 'Vines and Climbers' started by PBees, Jan 5, 2010.

1. PBees

PBees Member

Could someone please help me, a very inexperienced gardener, with questions about my established Lemon Bells clematis? When and how hard should I prune it? The tag information says it blooms on the previous season's wood. One year I pruned it and got no blooms for 2 years after. I would like to clean it up as it looks awful right now.

Also, my neighbour brought over 3 assorted clematis in pots. I will not have a place to plant them until the spring - is it OK to keep them in pots in a sheltered spot over the winter?

Many thanks!

2. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

3. Hartley Botanic

Hartley Botanic Active Member

Hi there,

I moved house recently and kept my clematis plants in pots for a few months before getting my new place, they seem to have survived really well, although I did have to keep checking that they weren’t tangling themselves up in each other! It is important to allow them structure and to give them something to climb up so a good solid pyramid shape with bamboo so that they can continue growing up something should keep them happy. Also make sure they don’t get water logged through the winter, especially important if you’re keeping them in solid pots although I found open bottomed pots were fine throughout the rainey months.