Cherry trees (stressed and holes in leaves)

Discussion in 'Ornamental Cherries' started by Nichole, Jul 13, 2011.

1. Nichole

Nichole Member

The cherry trees outside our building, which is close to the Main Street Skytrain Station, are looking quite stressed.

It is possible the trees did not get enough water during those few days of heat we had, which could explain why they are dropping their leaves, but they are facing another challenge as well--the leaves have holes in them. Photos are attached.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what is creating the holes in the leaves and what actions can be taken to help ensure the trees do not die?

Thank you for your help,

Nichole

Attached Files:

2. csiemens

csiemens Active Member

I have EXACTLY the same issue with a bing cherry that was planted last year, smaller tinier holes overall but a few with more extensive damage. The tree is otherwise very healthy. We had an incredibly long wet spring here in Portland, OR, so I wonder if it is related to this, or maybe not enough water now that we are into the dry summer? I have noticed the leaves are also curling a wee bit.

3. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

This has been a hard year for our cherries, with the cold damp spring and now the dry late summer. The bugs may as well have a go at them before the leaves all fall off. We think for the most part they'll be fine. Next year is another year.

4. csiemens

csiemens Active Member

Thank you! It was a really weird year for weather. Hopefully next things will be a little bit more 'normal' whatever that means.