cherry blossom apocalypse

Discussion in 'Ornamental Cherries' started by meganhughes, May 13, 2012.

1. meganhughes

meganhughes Member

Hi there - I have two cherry trees, a weeping cherry and a cherry blossom. My weeping cherry tree is about 3 years old, established just fine and is growing in a large 1/2 oak barrel. This season it blossomed nicely and new green leaves came in. However, in the last two weeks, the leaves have all turned brown, curled and the tree looks dead. There is new unaffected growth coming from the upper trunk, and new tiny buds on the branches, but all the first growth leaves are dead.

Now my cherry blossom, also in a 1/2 oak barrel, planted last year and doing fine so far, is showing signs of whatever infestation has effected the weeping cherry. It's leaves are brown and curling up to about 1/2 way up the tree.

I have sprayed both with Safers insecticide/fungicide. I see ants crawling on the branches of both, but no aphids that I can find. I also see whispy webs on some branches but not all.

Any ideas about what this could be? Aphids? Spider mites? Virus?

Thank you!!!

Megan

Last edited: May 13, 2012
  2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Late frost?

3. meganhughes

meganhughes Member

could be - if that causes damage to 1/2 tree only. I checked the base of the trunk and there is no sign of borer activity, but I have noticed a few small droplets of sap sitting at the apex of the branches on the weeping cherry. Don't know what this means. Also, at the trunk of the weeping cherry I noticed an ant nest forming - could explain the ant activity on the branches. Can this cause damage to a tree?

Can I post pictures here somehow?

4. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Here's the instruction 'manual' - Attaching Images

Yes, frost can affect just part of a tree, depending on conditions. So can (if you're near the sea) salt spray blown ashore in strong winds.

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Cherries are prone to multiple pests and diseases. Spring die-back is liable to be a bacterial blight or other pathogenic problem.

6. meganhughes

meganhughes Member

Hi - thanks for your responses. I just contacted Brian Minter from the CBC radio show and described the problem. He said they're fine and will come back to normal, it's just that they're too wet. I have them both in 1/2 oak barrels, so perhaps I should move them for better drainage? Does this sound right to you guys? Please see attached photos for a better idea of the kind of die-back that's happening.
    Thank you!!

Attached Files: