Cheering ourselves up with Maples

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Acerholic, Mar 19, 2020.

1. Jaybee63

Jaybee63 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

I have Tsuma Beni which also hasn’t leafed out yet.

2. dicky5ash

dicky5ash Generous Contributor

hi thanks..the background to this is that the independent garden centre I got it from had a fairly large TG with 3”+ across truck for several years which remained unsold as they were asking far too much, I saw it several times, then I went back in the Autumn but there was no name card and picked it up cheap..and it had been moved from where it was before..Happy to be proved wrong..the majority of my trees have started leafing out now apart from Ukgumo..I’ll post some pics in a few weeks...when it’s fully out

Jaybee63 likes this.
  3. dicky5ash

edit 2 out of 3 ukgumo’s have started..emerald lace definitely still sleeping.

Katsura is looking nice this year, and has grown to about 10foot.
    Shirasawanum starting to go
    Vitifolium with a flower
    Meigetsu
    Orange dream
    Going green
    Sango kagu
    Filigree
    Enkan

Attached Files:

ROEBUK, zfrittz and Acerholic like this.
  4. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Hi dicky5ash, I agree with your comment on Katsura, ours is also the best show we have had in years.
    My favourite out of your photos is Meigetsu, beautiful form and colour.
    My wife is torn between Orange dream and Enkan.
    Thanks for sharing them

dicky5ash likes this.
  5. Acerholic

Hi Jaybee63, re Tsuma gaki and Beni, in your opinion which do you think is the more vivid red finger nails? Looking at AlainK photo it appears that gaki possibly is !!!!

6. Jaybee63

Jaybee63 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Tsuma Gaki looks better and performs better. Tsuma Beni has been troublesome for me with dieback. Mind you, I often thing the vigour and issues can be down to the underlying rootstock, and it’s not always down to location.
    I have an orange dream that puts on a fantastic amount of growth each year and has so much vigour with no fertilisation. Yet I’ve lost another Orange dream which always struggled.

Acerholic likes this.
  7. Acerholic

Hi Jaybee63, thanks for that, I find it so interesting hearing other enthusiasts opinion on cultivars. Now to persuade my wife to let me buy Gaki. I'll blame you if you dont mind !!!

8. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

A few more

Attached Files:

ROEBUK, dicky5ash and Acerholic like this.
  9. Acerholic

Hi LoverOfmaples, wonderful photography after the rain on the leaves. Otome Zakura looks great. It glows.

LoverOfMaples likes this.
  10. Luke’s Maples

Luke’s Maples Generous Contributor

Hi Jaybee. Here are a couple of pics of my baby Tsuma gaki. This is new to me so I dont even know if it was labelled up correctly yet haha.

Attached Files:

ROEBUK, dicky5ash and Acerholic like this.
  11. tlairmore

tlairmore Active Member 10 Years

IMG_4156.jpg
    :) Shreveport, Louisiana

Acerholic likes this.
  12. Acerholic

Hi tlairmore, again wonderful. Thankyou for sharing it.

13. Acerholic

Hi Luke, this is my Tsuma beni in Summer last year. As you can see not too bright red tips at all . Hope you have gaki as Jaybee63 says it's the better of the two. There have been some sold as the other one I've been informed.
    I'm just waiting to see the Spring colour on mine.

Attached Files:

14. Luke’s Maples

Hi Acerholic. Perhaps not the brightest tips but a lovely green. I will keep you posted re mine. Another perfect spring day for our trees, after a bit of rain overnight. Everything looking happy and healthy so far.

15. Acerholic

Hi Luke , thanks. We have spent the day planting 3 Betula Snow Queen birch trees, 12 ft tall to give more dappled shade for our maples. My wife and I have decided to spend more on protection of the maples we have (about 150). There does come a time when one has to stop buying them and spend more on protecting and nurturing them.

16. Luke’s Maples

That sounds ideal. I only have half that amount and struggle to look after them. I definitely need to start thinking about where they are going to live and how to protect them rather than which one or two should I get next. Once my order from Hippo arrives... hehe

17. Acerholic

Hi Luke, create a mini Westonburt!!!!!!! If only. We can only dream.

18. Luke’s Maples

Hahaha.. it's the look I'm aiming for. I could do it like people create model villages. How much fun. I definitely need some protection though. I just looked up the silver birch you mentioned. What a great choice. Year round interest. Do you mind asking where you got them?

19. Acerholic

Hi Luke, got them from Chew Valley Trees, they were delivered this morning. Really healthy trees. Decided on these due to lovely white trunks and good colour of leaves that will also be a good contrast to our maples. Over the years they will help give dappled shade.
    Hope that's of help!!

20. Luke’s Maples

It does help. Thanks. I'll take a look

21. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

I'm very excited about these three Acer shigitatsu seedlings

Attached Files:

AlainK and Acerholic like this.
  22. Acerholic

Hi LoverOfMaples, new life, its wonderful. Even more so important to appreciate during these difficult days.
    Hope you get something unique out of one of them, that's the exciting thing with seedlings ' never knowing '.
    The enthusiasm on this site is infectious, thanks for sharing.

LoverOfMaples likes this.
  23. dicky5ash

Silly question but what does the “typical” palmatum look like that people speak of..

These are last year’s seedlings, (self propagated in a the pot containing the large shigitatsu sawa and Katsura) photos taken this morning. I’m hopeful that something interesting might emerge..

Attached Files:

AlainK and Acerholic like this.
  24. Acerholic

Hi dicky5ash, re your question about what the typical palmatum looks like. I have always gone by the palm of your hand shape as the typical palmatum. Bit simplistic but I think that's ok.
    Good luck with your seedlings, at least you know what they are as they came up in the same pot as parent. Good photos

dicky5ash likes this.
  25. Acerholic

I have some leaves. Not very big but they are there. Peaches and Cream, Hana Matoi, Vitifolium, Ruby Stars, English Town, First Ghost, Tsuma Beni.
    Not many atm, all 'very' slow this year, hope the warmth this week will wake them all up, except Griseum of course!!! It does like its sleep until May.

Attached Files: