Cheering ourselves up with Maples

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Acerholic, Mar 19, 2020.

1. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Hi LoverOfMaples, that is a great idea . I do wonder about our Maple collections with climate change and a hoop house will protect them when needed. I think many more of us will have to go down that route.

LoverOfMaples likes this.
  2. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Quick note about these Acer discolor's, which we really should now call Acer aff. paxii as they really don't match the description enough.

According to FOC A. discolor is a synonym of A. oblongum although this is disputed. We thought previously that the seed/plants sold by J. Urban (of which Alain's is one) came from seed from trees at Coursiana in France, which were collected in China. I have recently learned that the Coursiana plants come from M. Urban, he received seed from China though he had ordered oblongum. This is the seed which then went to Coursiana, and the same that forms the basis for all of our plants (maybe) in Western Europe.

It is possible that the description is wrong, but unlikely, or that these are some hybrid unknown elsewhere, as the don't really appear to be paxii or discolor. D. Crowley of Westonbirt is our consulting dendrologist, and his determination for now is A. aff. paxii. -E

Acerholic and AlainK like this.
  3. Acerholic

Hi emery, rare acer seeds are so important to share around the world and your description of Acer discolor (Acer af. Paxii) shows that the knowledge should also be shared. Alain must be very proud to have this one. Thankyou both for the photo and description

4. dicky5ash

dicky5ash Generous Contributor

Japonicum Vitifolium
    Japonicum Meigetsu
    Japonicum Aconitifolium (the sick one I got last year) looking very happy with flowers all over
    Palmatum Filigree

Attached Files:

Acerholic likes this.
  5. Acerholic

Hi dicky5ash, great photos, so pleased that your Aconitifolium has recovered, we all worry so much when one of our maples has a bad year and we think the worst.
    Love the flowers on your Vitifolium!!
    Bit jealous tbh, our maples except Katsura are very very slow this year. Hoping the warmth coming on Sunday will pick them all up. I will post more photos then. Thankyou

6. dicky5ash

Thanks, no flowers on Meigetsu..I’ve had it for 3 years and it was a 4 year old tree from Pat at HP..seems a real slow grower..but very healthy.. leafing out is patchy in my garden I’ve got one Sango Kaku fully out and two that are not at all, 2/3rds are on their way out apart from some incl a few dissectums, like crimson queen and ornatum and liniborum but then filigree and shiguire bato and others are well on their way.. yours will come soon enough

7. Acerholic

Hi dicky5ash, yes I hope so , mine are all as slow as my Griseum this year. It is strange how Acers vary year on year for what appears to no apparent reason.

8. dicky5ash

Thanks. At what point would you recommend vertical mulching/feeding? I only started feeding them last year and have been successfully keeping Lots of trees for 25years.. I’ve also got a couple that haven’t leafed out I need to pot on very soon..is potting on if they have started leafing out a big no-no?

9. Acerholic

Hi dicky5ash, first of all IMO dont move anything that's leafing out. Re vertical mulching and feeding I have always done mine on or around May 1st. I apply a slow release feed for acid loving plants that covers up to August.
    Several years ago I fed with a liquid feed (nettle tea) too early which led to a lot of whippy growth that was hit by late rogue Spring frosts. So that stopped!!!!
    I dont know about you but I think we all learn all the time with gardening no matter how long we've been doing it. I also do learn a lot on the UBC Maple forum and I thank everyone for this.

LoverOfMaples likes this.
  10. dicky5ash

Thanks for the info very helpful..I bought several bags of Acer/acid soil loving slow release pellet food a while ago, I’ll hold off till May as you suggest. The couple I want to pot on haven’t yet started including a large Shigitatsu sawa, that’s currently in a 150ltr pot and moving into a 500ltr..

11. Acerholic

Hi dicky5ash, wow that's a big Shigitatsu Sawa, it must look a wonderful site when in leaf. TBH I would not disturb the roots now. I have always moved mine when they are dormant. But I've never moved one that size from a pot although IMO the same principle applies.
    You must post a photo of the Shigitatsu Sawa on this thread as I for one would love to see it as would many others I'm sure!!!?

12. dicky5ash

It’s not leafing out yet, very much still dormant..if I can get it done this weekend I’ll do it, if not I’ll leave it.. aside from it having been in its current pot for 5 years, (the base of the trunk is 10cm across) one of the reasons for moving it is that it’s getting too much sun in its current spot...top canopy is is not as good as it could be.. I want to move it to the front of my house where it will get sun protection from 11-3pm. It’s a bit of a logistical nightmare as you can imagine..with no other pairs of hands!

13. Luke’s Maples

Luke’s Maples Generous Contributor

That is huge. I have a Katsura in an 80Ltr pot and that was a nightmare to move and repot. I dont think iv ever seen a 500ltr pot before haha. It is definitely a two man job. Pretty expensive too, I reckon about a hundred quids worth of soil, bark and/or whatever else you would use. I cant wait to see a pic.

14. Luke’s Maples

Luke’s Maples Generous Contributor

A few pics from this afternoon

Shishigashira
    Beni Maiko
    Olsen's frosted strawberry
    Nigrum
    Manyo no sato
    Hogyoku
    Villa taranto
    Shojo nomura
    Jordan
    Aconitifolium
    Okushimo
    Omureyama
    Orangeola
    Koto no ito
    Going green

Enjoy.

Attached Files:

opusoculi, emery, AlainK and 2 others like this.
  15. Acerholic

Hi Luke, lovely bright Spring evening photos. Two I'm not familiar with Hogyoku and Shojo Nomura. They seem to have great leaf structure and colour.
    Nice easy pots to move unlike poor dicky5ash !!!!!!!

16. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Acer tataricum subsp. ginnala.
    One of a batch I bought for bonsai, but I don't like them that much for bonsai :

acer-tataricum_200405a.jpg

'Tsuma Gaki' beginning to spread its red finger-nailed hands :

acerp-tsuma-gaki_200405a.jpg

'Atropurpureum'. It will have seeds again :

acerp_atro01_200405a.jpg

'O-sakazuki' :

acerp-o-sakazuki_200405a.jpg

'Trompenburg' :

acerp-tromp_200405a.jpg

opusoculi, dangerine49, emery and 4 others like this.
  17. Acerholic

Hi AlainK, brilliant photos, Tsuma Gaki is my favourite amongst the group. Looks a very healthy tree.

18. Jaybee63

Jaybee63 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Enjoying the garden this afternoon. There are still a few maples that are yet to leaf out but the gardens starting to look good.
    Just some random photos taken today.

Attached Files:

opusoculi, dangerine49, emery and 5 others like this.
  19. Acerholic

Hi Jaybee63, gosh there are some lovely gardens on this forum, 'yours' is one of them.
    Loved the photos, you have very happy maples, they look pampered, hence their condition.
    Great to see , Thankyou.

20. Jaybee63

Thank you Acerholic for you kind words.
    Once we have the bug we spend years working out what they do and don’t like, how to deal with our different soil conditions and which maples require which conditions, some can taken sun and some can’t.
    I reckon the most important thing is creating shade, some large maples can take sun and will create the shade for the more delicate types to thrive.
    And for me, I always plant them high as I have underlaying clay, although the topsail is stony and drains.

21. dicky5ash

Lovely photos Alain, I am hoping what I have is a Tsuma Gaki I think it is from Autumn photos, it’s just leafing out now..yours looks wonderful, do you have any photos before the leaves have fully come out, mine looks quite red..I I’ll find out in the coming days

22. dicky5ash

Nice trees jaybee63
    The mature tree I bought in the Autumn that I thought might be Tsuma Gaki but there was no guarantee as it had no name card or leaves on it apart from one or two late growth tiny pink red leaves on it turns out to be TG..lots of buds starting to split

Attached Files:

Acerholic likes this.
  23. Acerholic

Hi dicky5ash, I am getting so envious at everybody's Spring growth. But I am really enjoying all these photos. Great to get lost in the world of TREES.

dicky5ash likes this.
  24. Jaybee63

I have 2 TG’s and none have leafed out yet, Acerholic and Luke, what about yours?
    I’m guessing if no one has a TG leafed, then perhaps it’s a different cultivar.

25. Acerholic

Hi Jaybee63, sadly I dont have Tsuma gaki, I do have Tsuma Beni which is very similar. But alas that hasn't leafed out yet either. Think all mine will be sometime in July !!!!! Then I will post a lot, fingers crossed.