Cheering ourselves up with Maples

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Acerholic, Mar 19, 2020.

1. Luke’s Maples

Luke’s Maples Generous Contributor

I think that sounds like a great idea!

2. Luke’s Maples

Charlie's videos have a lot to answer for... I now have 3 Mikawa Yatsubusas in my garden.

3. Luke’s Maples

Harcuvar yours looks really nice.

4. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Perhaps next year tbh. But yes agreed it's a good idea after we come through this

Jaybee63 likes this.
  5. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Good feel sure she will help out, re the stand yes i built it myself quite straight forward to make helps if you have some power tools though (quicker) making another one shortly which will take larger size pots next, shifting some larger trees shortly so i will have more room to keep more grafts in these stands, just need some decent weather !!

6. Luke’s Maples

Sounds like a good plan. I would love to pop over your way when all has settled down. The video you made showed some incredible tress which is responsible for a couple in my latest order to Hippopottering. That's of course if it's ok with you? I'd be more than happy to have you over if you were ever down Oxford way.

Ps.. please do the 2nd and 3rd videos to complete the tour of your garden. I know I'm not the only forum member who is eager for you to do these..

7. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Hopefully Luke when this terrible situation we all find ourselves in at this present moment in time is under control , and the resemblance of normality returns to us all i would be more than happy to "drop in" for a chin wag etc , do actually have friends down in Bedfordshire which is not a all that far from you , so could make the detour no problem and hopefully call at Packhorse on my way home , was due to go down next week but that's out the window now like everything else. Videos no problem just waiting for them all to be in full leaf, moved and lifted lots of trees around into new spots and areas etc, plus one's which have never been "shown" before are now ready, lifted into new containers just been growing away slowly for a few years and like every one else's trees are just starting to break.

8. Harcuvar

Harcuvar Member

Charlie Morgan initially shaped it. I picked it out for its beauty. Credit to Charlie.

Jaybee63 likes this.
  9. Acerholic

Hi ROEBUK, can I second that from Luke re your videos, thoroughly enjoyed part 1.

10. Acerholic

Took photo of our babies this morning, all under cover and wrapped in bubble wrap that will come off in April. 39 of them. Wont be planted out until 2021 at earliest. Staging a little to be desired after seeing ROEBUK's professional one. All coming into leaf now so have survived the Winter. They are all new varieties for us, so really looking forward to seeing the leaves soon and in the Autumn.

Attached Files:

ryanskarma, AlainK and dicky5ash like this.
  11. dicky5ash

dicky5ash Generous Contributor

It’s still leafing out..there’s a runner from the rootstock, when is best to cut it off?

Attached Files:

ROEBUK and AlainK like this.
  12. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Cute... ;0)

13. Acerholic

Hi dicky5ash, do it now before sap begins to really move. Also you dont want a lot of the effort of the tree going into that branch when it's going to grow quickly over next few weeks.

AlainK likes this.
  14. Luke’s Maples

Really exciting. 39 new varieties - You will not know where to look haha. I'm just waiting to hear back from Lorraine at Hippopottering re my order. Hana Matoi, Toyama Nishiki, Sister Ghost (hopefully), Fairy Lights, Filigree, Pink Filigree, Aka Shigatatsu Sawa and Kasagi Yama.

Cant wait!

15. Luke’s Maples

Oh and Oregon Sunset

16. Acerholic

Hi Luke, just showed this to my wife , she said your wife must be so understanding lol. That is a great order, I hope Hippopotering will continue to supply during this crisis. We all need our plants to help get through this. I will probably order one soon if they are working. The government did say mail order was ok, but who knows. Please update here if Lorraine says all ok. Enjoy the sun !!

17. dicky5ash

10 rolls of fleece later the ones that are most leafed out are now covered..my garden is pretty sheltered by a 13foot wall all around it and so I only get frosts if it’s really cold..

if the buds are swollen but not out like bellow are they ok?

Attached Files:

18. Acerholic

The frosts can get the buds at any stage, but I think you will be ok tonight looking at the temp. Tomorrow night might be a different matter. The buds in the photo look well established so should be able to withstand 0 degrees. -3 or- 5 is a worry. Tbh we all get stressed about the frosts. If the frost does get to a few it's not the end of the world as you will get a second flush. The worry is a rogue frost at the end of April and early May.

dicky5ash likes this.
  19. dicky5ash

Thanks, I wrapped them last year but we had more frosts..never prior to that in 20 years..and we’ve had a few hard ones over the years.. looks like my seedlings from last year have made it through..they have just been covered!!!

Attached Files:

20. Jaybee63

Jaybee63 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Wow, I’ve never gone to the trouble of wrapping the pots, even with young grafts. It certainly must be milder near the coast.

21. Acerholic

They look good, definitely need protection this week. It's always exhilarating growing seedlings as you just dont know what you will get. Wonderful number 4 photo such a vivid green it will go very well close to a Red dissectum.

22. Jaybee63

Jaybee63 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Some nice choices,
    Kasagiyama is a real stunner and puts on good growth, mines a large tree now but was bought as a one year graft.
    Toyama Nishiki is another favourite of mine and I have a couple. Filigree is also a tree that I have 2 or 3 off as it’s trouble free and takes sun.
    Aka Shigatatsu Sawa crisps really easy in late high summer so plenty of shade with this one and keep it watered when required.

23. Acerholic

Hi Jaybee63, I think you are so right, but perhaps my wife and I are just a bit paranoid. We love our Acers, perhaps a little too much !!!!!! No thats not possible.

Jaybee63 likes this.
  24. Acerholic

Luke, can I second Jaybee63 comment about Aka Shigitatsu Sawa. It is so delicate it needs a lot of protection. But its leaf colour and form is still worth all the trouble. I've lost more than a couple over the years, but still go back and buy another. Hope this thread has some Spring photos of it placed for us all to enjoy. I will do so as soon as mine is in leaf.

25. Luke’s Maples

Thanks both.

I do hope hippopottering are able to ship them out to me. I will definitely make sure to keep the Aka Shigatatsu Sawa protected from the hot sun as much as possible. I have a very young Shigatatsu Sawa that got a bit frazzled last summer after only a few weeks.

I think Roebuks video played a part in my order. His Filigree, Toyama Nishiki and Kasagi Yama look really pretty.