Change in behaviour with link to post?

Discussion in 'Forum Announcements and Feedback' started by Junglekeeper, Apr 30, 2017.

1. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

If I remember correctly, after the conversion of the bulletin board software from vBulletin to Xenforo, the following link would open up a page to display post# 12345 and only that post:
    Code:
    http://forums.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/posts/12345
    The way it's currently working, the thread in which post# 12345 is located is brought into view and the post is displayed at the top of the viewport. Is this the way it's suppose to be? Is it possible to specify that only one post is to be displayed?

2. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I know you're not asking me, but I hope it's supposed to be this way. I like it much better. It didn't used to be obvious how to get to the actual thread before.

But it annoys me that now the page number is in the permalink, and I can't get a link to work, in a multi-page thread, without the page number. So if I move a posting, links to any other postings that get bumped a page won't work.

3. Junglekeeper

In retrospect, maybe that behaviour was seen in vBulletin and not Xenforo. Well it's not a big deal either way. There wouldn't be many instances where one would want to show only one post anyway.

I think it would be better to use the notation above to reference a post rather than to use the permalink if it has an embedded page number. I encountered an instance of such a 'broken' link when I clicked on a cherry marker; it took me to the beginning of the thread.

4. wcutler

Yes, that's how it used to work in the old system.
    OK, how do I get the notation you're recommending?

5. Junglekeeper

Instead of copying the permlink, copy the 'Report' or 'Like' link then remove the characters that follow the post number. You could also do the same use the 'Edit' and 'Delete' links when they're there.

I don't see any drawback to using the post notation instead of the permalink. @Daniel Mosquin can jump in if there is.

6. wcutler

Thank you. I didn't even notice they were different.
    I would really appreciate being informed of the marker number for those, so I can fix them.

There are many map links now that are broken, when I removed the page number when I was viewing latest posting first (which is the only order that makes sense to me) and I knew that my permalink name was different from everyone else's. Now I see that some of those links without the page number no longer work. But links with the page number don't work on postings that move to a new page when I move a posting in or out from another thread.

7. Junglekeeper

Marker ID 3617.

8. wcutler

Thanks. I fixed that using the link from the heading of the search result when I queried the tree name. Thanks for using a marker for a tree for which there is only one occurrence in Burnaby! That link is the same as the "like" link without the text at the end. Here is the new link:
    Burnaby
    I'm thinking that it won't convert to however you describe links today that appear converted to alternate text, and that's considered poor form, so the proper link is the permalink, broken here to display it,
    h ttp://forums.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/threads/burnaby.36481/page-7#post-346483
    that appears as
    Burnaby.

You can send me other broken links via PM.

9. wcutler

Ha, wrong. The first link was
    h ttp://forums.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/posts/346483/ (broken, so it would display) and it did convert to Burnaby for the display.
    I was all ready to give xenForo the benefit of the doubt, but now I'm not.

10. Junglekeeper

Does this mean the post notation is to be used for future marker submissions? If this is the preferred method then you may want to consider developing a program to convert the marker links to the new format. It should be fairly easy since the post number is always the last item in a permalink.

You should split this discussion into a conversation/PM as it is really off topic.