Can I divide a hoya?

Discussion in 'Plant Propagation' started by hoozieg, Sep 26, 2009.

1. hoozieg

hoozieg Member

I have a hoya/wax plant that I severely cut back today. It is horribly pot bound, couldn't get water (too tightly packed down) and is turning brown. This plant is huge (or was until I cut it) and over 40 years old. I did leave some of the newer shoots, so it wouldn't look completely denuded.

I'm considering dividing the entire plant - cutting it in half - including the roots and putting each half in a pot of it's own. Will this be overly traumatic and kill both halves of the plant or will I be doing it a favor, giving it's roots more room?

It was also suggested to me that I could trim the roots back to about the same size as the top part of the plant and then plant it back into the same pot. Should I do this instead?

My other option might be to toss the mother plant and start over with some cuttings. My husband and daughter don't want to do this because the plant was his mother's/her grandmother's.

I would really appreciate your thoughts on this.

2. Dana09

Dana09 Active Member

Oh My,
    I just did this with a 30 yr old hoya.
    While I did not divide it, I did remove as much soil as I could from the root ball and took out two smaller rooted shoots which became apparent when the soil was removed.
    I used a hose to gently wash the soil out & have a look.
    Perhaps you can't make that decision until you have a look and try taking it apart. I found a dead zone in the middle of the root ball & it was not difficult to remove the used up soil.
    A hoya will not show any damage right away, the leaves being so succulent, so I can't say how it will do but the new shoots are still growing. I think it's a good time to do it as it is in an active grow time with the days getting shorter now.
    All I can advise is to suggest that as you have top pruned you ought to match it with a root prune as well. Without the top growth it doesn't need all the roots and likely will do better, as do trees in pots. Watch not to over-water afterward so any damaged roots will have a chance to seal rather than start to rot.
    My hoya is a tough survivor or it would not have lasted 30 yrs!
    How nice it would be to share this family plant with other members of the family who obviously care for it so much, hey ?!
    I recently tried to give away to family another 30 yr old, tho unwed pregnant seeming, Ponytail Palm with a bump on her stem, alas, without success. I said we are ready for a divorce but, no takers, yet!
    Good luck with the Hoya. Only you can decide!

D

3. hoozieg

hoozieg Member

Thank you for sharing your experiences. I might start by trimming the root ball and getting the soil out, if there's any left. That should help for awhile anyway. I'd hate to kill it by traumatizing it too much. Then maybe later on, I can divide it when it's recovered from it's 'haircut'!

Oh they are tough! This one's been through many, many moves across country - some in moving trucks that probably went through serious temperature changes and not so gentle movers. It's been watered too much and not watered enough; it's had full sun facing south and no sun in the corner. It's lived in pots for so long there's no dirt left, and still it thrives! Let's hope it continues to be this tough!

Thanks for all the tips!