Campsis and hummingbirds

Discussion in 'Vines and Climbers' started by Belle Abbott, Sep 13, 2009.

1. Belle Abbott

Belle Abbott Member

Can anyone tell me if there is much difference amoungst trumpet vine (Campsis) species and cultivars in thier ability to attract and provide nectar for hummingbird species.
    I was told by one gardener that hummingbirds prefer, the narrower and longer flowers of Campsis radicans over Campsis grandiflora. Is this true?
    Info from different websites claim that the hybrid Campsis X tagliabuana ' Mme. Galen' is the most prolific in flower production and therefore would attract and provide for the most amount of hummingbirds. However, contrary sources have mentioned that the flowers of this hybrid are actually lacking in nectar and therefore may not attract that many humminbirds or else, sadly will only tease them with "empty rewards".
    Any thoughts on this matter?

2. Pieter

Pieter Well-Known Member 10 Years

While I cannot answer your question as such, I can tell you that we have had hummingbirds visiting our honeysuckle for several years, just look below. It is Lonicera periclymenum Serotina or "Late Dutch Honeysuckle". The hummers also love to visit the Crocosmia and I've seen them in Hosta and Heuchera as well...

Attached Files:

3. Marn

Marn Active Member 10 Years

Ive seen them in my Honeysuckle and also in the flowers of my variegated Society Garlic .. that really surprised me .. mostly anything with long tubular flowers and well red is there fav color .. even if you are wearing a red shirt they will chek you out .. :)
    also seen the Hummingbird Moths in my Snapdragons ..

Marion