Buckeye

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by heroquestelf, Aug 10, 2005.

1. heroquestelf

heroquestelf Member

I have an issue. I have a buckeye seedling that is in jeopardy.

My wife's late grandfather carried this buckeye around for years in his pocket for good luck. My wife got it after the funeral, sprouted it and got it to grow. Now the guys I paid to mow my yard yesterday clipped it. If this buckeye dies, I'm in a world of pain. If anyone can give me some advice, I would be INCREDIBLY grateful!! You can reply here or send responses to pkbro (at) charter.net

THANKS!!

2. petejacobsen

petejacobsen Member

Can you be more specific? How big is the tree at this point? How was it damaged? Where are you located?

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Amazing that it would germinate after being out of the ground for years. If they hit the bark and it hasn't wilted, after you hit the lawn men put something around the tree to protect it from further damage. If they cut the top back/off, it will probably sprout from below that point and come back.

4. Lucky_P

Lucky_P Member

I'm with Ron.
    I have some serious doubts about the viability of a buckeye that spent a few weeks, much less a number of years, traveling around in someone's pocket. They are not a seed that remains viable for very long, if allowed to dry out. Now, if your wife's grandfather had just recently picked up a freshly ripened/dropped buckeye(though I wouldn't anticipate them being ripe in July/Aug), I'd consider germination as a reasonable possibility.

I have to wonder if what you've been growing as a 'buckeye' is something else that just happened to come up in the pot your wife planted the seed in.