Blueberry ash elaeocarpus reticulatus

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by LeanneSmithies, Feb 28, 2006.

1. LeanneSmithies

LeanneSmithies Member

Can anyone help I have a row of ten or more plants all mature greater than 3m tall but they have never flowered the plants keep growing and are all healthy. They were planted as mature plants 4 years ago when we bought this house
    Leanne

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Maybe not old enough yet.

3. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Australian National Botanic Gardens has a great sheet on Elaeocarpus reticulatus.
    Nothing about age of flowering though.

4. LeanneSmithies

LeanneSmithies Member

thankyou I have all that info and am still really interested to find out when or if they will flower.
    Leanne

5. S.S

S.S Member

Not that this really helps but if seed grown they can take several years to flower. I have grown from seed the Blue Quandong, Elaeocarpus angustifolia (grandis). They are now 4 years of age but still haven't flowered. The seed took near 12 months to strike and is still now sprouting the odd seedling...after four years of replanting old seed!! I have seen quite small plants of the reticulatus in flower when grown from cutting.

6. Ron B

Some species of broadleaf trees may take 20-60 years to reach flowering age.

7. LeanneSmithies

LeanneSmithies Member

Thankyou RonB but I"m certain that I have seen smaller trees than ours flowering in nursery's unless what I was looking at was incorrectly labled though the foliage was very similar
    Leanne

8. S.S

S.S Member

We have them in 6" pots both white and pink forms grown from cutting flowering at the grand height of 30cm. If your plants were originally seed grown they will need to reach a mature age before they flower, whereas when grown by cutting from a mature plant they will basically flower straight away.

9. Ron B

Timing of flowering of both seedlings and cuttings of plants generally may vary, even within same batch.

10. S.S

S.S Member

yes there is more than just age to consider when there are environmental aspects and also natural variances that occur.