Bananas in containers

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by soccerdad, May 29, 2009.

1. The Hollyberry Lady

The Hollyberry Lady New Member

Here is one of the pups tonight. I cut off the browning tip and the leaf has started to unfold, with a new shoot forming in the center! What an improvement.

I am so thrilled to be finally growing one of these plants!...

: )

Attached Files:

2. The Hollyberry Lady

Coming right along, and producing new leaves now too! It sure likes it where I have moved it - out of the cold window sill and under my fluorescent light with a heat mat.

I am so thrilled to actually have a real live banana plant in my presence! Looks like all my chat to it has paid off! I have been bribing it too, lol.

I have another pup also, but this one is doing the best for now. 'Musa Basjoo' is the variety, if you forgot.

I am pampering it with daily showers...

Attached Files:

3. The Hollyberry Lady

Very happy to report that I put the plant above (musa basjoo) outside yesterday in the garden! I am so excited to watch it grow.

4. The Hollyberry Lady

In fact, here is my new little banana pup now. I have planted it in the middle of my liliy garden! My logic, is that it may provide some much needed shade to the lilies over the years, and look kind of cool high above them.

This is a south site, so the banana will receive nothing but full sun, from morning until late evening. I bet this sucker is going to be huge! I've included a photo of my lily garden in full, so you can see the little banana pup in the middle. I love it that I chose this position also because the garden can be seen in full view from my living room window! I get to stare at anytime I want, indoors or out.

This is my very first banana plant ever, and I am so proud of it! I intend on mothering this plant like crazy, and giving it only the best. Although I have never grown one before, I am beginning to get an understanding based on it's performance, exactly what it likes.

So happy to be involved with this plant. It will have my full attention all season long.

P.S. I will show pics of my indoor container banana pup also - I had two, and one is now outside, but one remains inside as well.

Attached Files:

5. The Hollyberry Lady

Here is my indoor Basjoo banana plant also, that I just put outside by the back door last night, in the rain. It is thriving today in it's new sunny spot...

Attached Files:

6. The Hollyberry Lady

Well, I've changed my mind again and brought my banana plant back inside - but it is doing quite well.

Here is how my little basjoo looks today...

Attached Files: