Bamboo -new growth, being eaten by bunnies

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by jenraider72, Jul 10, 2011.

1. jenraider72

jenraider72 Member

Hi, and thanks again for all sugestions for the bamboo. Yes, we were able save the bamboo, and there has been new growth, however, every time one grows a few inches, the next day it is eaten down to a nub again by , we think it's the bunnies we see eating the grass, and especially my cordyline, every day in our yard. Now, I suggfested we get a metal garden fence, and I think that's what we'll end up doing, but does anyone have any other tricks, or suggestions as to how to keep them from eating it all short of putting up the fencing? I assume my husband's hesitation with putting up the fence is asthetic, as it doesn't seem like any more work than the border he's already set up along the line of bamboo planting.I've attatched photos of bamboo and "the suspect". Thanks again for all of your help; you guys have been great!
    While I think of it, I will add that close to the bamboo- a few feet, there has been a 2-2 1/4 inch across neat, deep hole that appears. Twice my husband refilled it in with rocks and dirt, and both times we find the hole open again with the rocks piled up next to it. This tells us it must be a critter of some kind. Originally thought it was a wasp hole, but how could they move the rocks? Another website suggested it could be a chipmunk hole- because of the size. Don't know if there's a correlation between the hole and the bamboo, but either way I'd like to know what I may be dealing with there. Since the last time he filled it in, nothing has redug it out, so maybe it moved on to another spot.

Attached Files:

2. jessiehewong

jessiehewong Active Member

yes, bunnies ate bamboo shoots, yummy, yummy.
    Cover the young shoots with some kind of wire gauge, when the shoots are taller, they are safe, you can remove the covering. you can have beautiful bamboo next year.

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Might be easier and more efficient to surround entire planting with rabbit fencing that is left in place for some time.

4. Lysichiton

Lysichiton Active Member

Can you send me a couple of bunnies? I have a neighbours' 20 foot high bamboo trying to invade my garden in the vicinity of the septic field. Drama!

For you...rabbit stew, or as the French might say "Lapin a la biere"? Why waste expensive protein?