anyone want to donate seeds to a food forest?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by candychikita, Apr 27, 2009.

1. candychikita

candychikita Member

hello all!

so apparently i'm asking a lot of my local nurseries. i am building a decorative urban food forest in my front yard. i want it to look like rosalind creasy's yard, but be ALL edible, all year round. i can only get a few bits here and a few bits there at the local nurseries. i spoke to the wholesalers, and they won't deal with me because i don't buy bulk of each species. (the woman at linnaea nursery was INCREDIBLY RUDE actually) i have officially cleaned out TWO local nurseries for this season, and dragging my 2 year old and a 5 month old baby to other nurseries is really tedious and ridiculous. this is MY project, not theirs! (although they enjoy eating everything and digging in the dirt)

so: anyone have any clippings/seeds/bulbs/plants they're throwing out they want to donate to my cause?

things i'm looking for:
    strawberries
    kninnicknick
    pansies
    chives
    lingonberry
    anything in the allium family
    daylilies
    saffron crocuses
    evergreen huckleberry
    saskatoons
    kiwi
    sage
    savory
    asparagus
    quamash
    oregon grape
    any sort of lettuce, root vegetable, asian vegetable, brassica...any leftover seeds at the end of your plantings...

i've ordered seeds online for my fall/winter harvest, but for this spring/summer season, i'm hooped. i SHOULD have ordered seeds/bulbs/plants etc during the winter when i was planning this great garden but now i know! it's an edible learning process for us.

ps-i found this great resource online about food forestry on the west coast. the guy build food forests, but it looks like someone put his book on the internet (HELLO STEALING) so if you print off a copy send him $10 to put towards his cause

http://www.scribd.com/doc/2029243

thanks everyone! will post up pictures of the coming harvest.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2009
  2. geefrank

geefrank Member

Interesting. I have lots of extra left over seed. How would I get it to you?

3. candychikita

candychikita Member

how fabulous! i tried sending you a private message...but that didn't work. i sent an email to your gardening gnomes' website, so hopefully he passes it along to you :)

have your gnomes checked out this book? they should check to see if it's accurate...there's lots of revealing information about those garden gnomes in here!

http://www.amazon.com/Gnomes-Wil-Huygen/dp/0810909650

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

geefrank should now have private messaging access.