Identification: Any ideas about this one ?

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by fish dr, Nov 24, 2009.

1. fish dr

fish dr Active Member

THis one's been stumping me for awhile.

Pictured is the second fruiting of this patch behind my house.

Not immediately realizing these were not shaggy parasols, which grow all through the woods on the property, I picked the first flush of two mushrooms

THe second flush was also two mushrooms that somebody kicked over before they got open and the third flush (one mushroom) is now in the process of opening. I will supply ongoing photos barring more destruction.

THey were on the large side for Shaggy Parasols and after Picking them, I noticed they were also much too heavy and also too firm to be shaggies. I cloned tissue to agar. They grew much better on Malt Extract Agar than true shaggy parasols do. The pictured caps are about the size of a large egg. The veil is similar to parasols, and the gills are off white although they were not yet sporulating.

Also, they are very slow to open. The mushroom that's fruiting right now has opened little in the last five days. Temperatures are just above freezing, but nearby shaggy parasols generated a whole new flush during the same five days.

The area they are growing is under an (alder? Help! Leaf expert!) tree in a small grassy area next to a sand pile that the (many) cats here used instead of a litter pan. Annoyed by all the cat poo, somebody spread the sand all over the roads in June and then in September the area was disturbed by heavy machinery digging a trench for new hydro service. I mention all this because the area qualifies as both artificially enriched, and also as a disturbed area.

Thanks in advance for your help with these ones.

Attached Files:

2. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

Makes me think more of an Agaricus? Have you seen the gills to these yet?

3. Frog

Frog Generous Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

I agree with C.Wick, and if they smell like bandaids, I'll hazard a big leap and guess formerly known as A.praeclaresquamosus.
    Looks like alder leaves: if you look close and the leaf edges are curling inward then A. rubra
    cheers,
    frog

4. fish dr

fish dr Active Member

THey're not praeclaresquamosus, the most common large mushroom hereabouts. :(

Beautiful, abundant, toxic. With pink gills, brown when sporulating.

FOr me they're the cause of many fruitless automobile near-acccidents when found by the road.

These gills are off white although they were not yet sporulating.

Thanks for the Alder ID.

5. fish dr

fish dr Active Member

Three days have elapsed since the above pictures were taken. These are the pictures I have today. I'm obviously no C. Wick.

First pic is from yesterday, the rest from today.

In the second picture, note the white gills and the thick collar-like veil hanging at far left and right.

Still wondering.

IMO still too early to get a spore print.

I will be away for a couple of days. Print maybe then !? in nobody kicks it !

Boy is this a slow mushroom.

Thanks

Attached Files:

6. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

Not sure what...a type of Lepiota?
    Amazing that they look so completely different once the cap flares. Are you postitive this is even the same mushroom?? The stem look a different color, the cap texture/color changes drastically.......do/did these have skirts?
    They're gorgeous whatever they are...very curious now!

7. fish dr

fish dr Active Member

THe same mushroom. Absolutely. I was thinking Leucoagaricus (lepiota) americana, but am still up in the air about it.

Does it even grow here ?

The cracking ism't on account of dryness, we've had record rains.

If it goes unkicked, I can check it's staining characteristics too.

I'll keep on the case.

8. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

OH please do! That's just a beautiful mushroom! I'm not familiar with what all grows up your way........heck....I don't know what all grows MY way...lol
    I've a mushroom I've been trying to find an ID for for 3 years now.......grows on wood in the winter...has a pink spore...but doesn't fit any of the known Pluteus.
    Good luck with this one. Do you use a microscope to help with spore?
    Have u seen the spore color yet?
    Does it have a visible skirt?
    I want to see an image of it underneath!!! Come onnnn help me! lol