Identification: Amanita no.1

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by Nik, Jul 12, 2020.

1. Nik

Nik Contributor

I believe it is phalloides. Large smooth green-brown cap. Shows up in multiple locations in the yard, the first ones just beginning to emerge.

Attached Files:

2. Frog

Frog Generous Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Greetings @Nik,

For ID, suggest digging one out, digging down underneath it to be able to remove the entire base. If there is one that is a bit more opened up that would be useful too.
    It doesn't look like A. phalloides at this point - more info would be helpful.

3. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

@Nik, good afternoon Nik, if it is Amanita phalloides, then this should not be consumed. You probably already know this, but IMO it does not hurt to reafirm the warnings.
    I have seen the consequences too many times in the past of what this fungi can do. Not pretty and fatal !!
    I am sure that @Frog can ID this for you looking at the postings. I would not dare to try.

4. Nik

Nik Contributor

Just few hours later in the day.. this is what they look like.

Attached Files:

allelopath likes this.
  5. Nik

Nik Contributor

And the next morning.

Attached Files:

6. Nik

Nik Contributor

Perhaps not phalloides...

Attached Files:

Acerholic likes this.
  7. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

@Nik, I have to agree. Not death cap !!

8. Frog

Thank you for the great diagnostic shots @Nik
    It doesn't look like one of the Amanitas of my region, so will take a look at the NE of NA Amanita options

9. Frog

... Overall colour, veil, base, volva and cap/stipe ratio characters look like Amanita bisporigera and Amanita virosa. Both are listed as common in your region, so seem like strong possibles ... but these are not species with which I am conversant. Some interesting characters that may also be of use are; the striate cap margin, the swollen but not large base, and the large central veil remnant on cap in one photo.

Here is an Amanita resource for your area: Keep in mind that photos can be limiting - some species are quite variable in some respects.
    US - Northeast - Amanitaceae.org - Taxonomy and Morphology of Amanita and Limacella

Nik likes this.
  10. Nik

Nik Contributor

Amanita virginiana I suspect... why are fungi so difficult to ID? Thank you @Frog !

Frog likes this.
  11. Frog

Perhaps fungi are hoping to entertain us with these ID challenges ... The wonderful thing about mycology is that there is always more to learn, one never reaches the end, there is absolutely no chance of being bored :-) :-) :-)

Your mushroom differs from A. virginiana in enough key character respects that I don't think that is your critter. The description of A. bisporigera group is closer, more characters are a match.