Identification: "Aloe of doom" ID please?

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Anotherneko, Mar 24, 2011.

1. Anotherneko

Anotherneko Member

My mother bought me an indoor 'grow your own aloe' kit for my birthday last year. I'm not entirely sure the plant that's growing is aloe though, or if it is it's some kind of 'aloe of doom'. The 'leaves' are paper thin and stiff, about the width of a pencil, and have bright red barbs that are downright painful if/when they get caught in your skin. The plant is just under a year old, has not been re-potted yet (you'd be nuts to try and handle this thing with out welding gloves!), and has been otherwise tended to according to the kits included instructions.

I've tried several search methods, and a friend has referred me to this website. I'd greatly appreciate an ID on this monster. Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

• Aloe.jpg
      Aloe.jpg
      File size:
      291.2 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2011
  2. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

That's not an Aloe, it's a Puya or close relative (desert terrestrial bromeliad). Which one I couldn't tell you with any certainty until it blooms (which will be quite the event when it happens - I have yet to meet a Puya that does anything by half-measures, and blooming is no exception.)

Compare with P. alpestris for starters - it's one of the more commonly grown species.

3. Anotherneko

Anotherneko Member

Thank you very much! Having snooped around the internet (Now that I'm armed with the knowedge of this monsters secret identity) I think I'll stop trying to drown it with holy water and let it bloom :)