Alo Vera propagation

Discussion in 'Plant Propagation' started by Blake09, Oct 4, 2009.

1. Blake09

Blake09 Active Member

I got this Aloe Vera cutting from a co-worker and was wondering if there is any way I could root it, and how to root it?

From top of the cutting to bottem it is 6in.

(This is two pictures of the same cutting, front and back. Not two cuttings.)

:)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 12, 2009
  2. Blake09

Blake09 Active Member

Well its ben drying for a few days and I was wondering what to do next, Just plant in the ground, rooting hormone, put it in a glass of water...?

3. thanrose

thanrose Active Member 10 Years

Don't put it in water. It needs to root in sharp sand or even potting soil. (I just stick mine in the dirt wherever I want them to grow.)

Rooting hormone is good if you have it, but you know it has a very short shelf life? If it was opened last year, you might as well throw it out. Any fungicides in it would probably still be good, though.

It will probably root just fine without any particular fuss.

4. Blake09

Blake09 Active Member

thanks! :)

I was thinking water might rot it but I wasent sure. No its a new cutting about 6 days old...

5. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Member

There are at least two "aloe vera s" knocking about.
    Here, hopelessly confused by the horticultiral industry
    One produces plenty of pups and is easy to propagate. It grows to about 1/2-m+ and has orange flowers. Indian aloe might be a better name for it. it has similrar medicinal uses to the aloe of commerce. It is usually inexpensive to buy.
    The true aloe vera! of commerce is a larger palnt altogether -up to 1M + Each mature leaf can weigh several kilos. It has yellow flowers.
    I have never tried propagating it but i don't think it is half as easy as the Indian Aloe.

I think you cutting will grow as it has a bit of 'root' on it. I'd take a few leaves off. Keep it warm and misted, they hate winter.
    If it dies, ask your friend for a"pup' (with roots) next Summer.

Don't be misled by its succulent look; Both Veras like lots of water.