Ailling Eucyliptus

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by Gardener, May 20, 2007.

1. Gardener

Gardener Member

I am not sure if this is the correct catagory for Eucyliptus, but I care for an ailing one. I pruned it quite hard last fall as the former two winters were hard on it. It was sprawling and touching the ground in spots and there was a fair bit of dead limb. This winter did not help any with extreame rain and freezing alternately. (Zone 8, South Vancouver Island) I do not know the variety. It gets full sun all day with south exposure and some ocean wind. It gets regular and plentiful water in the summer and needless to say, winter too! There is not a lot of lively or new growth on it this spring and another gardner thinks it's dying. I never say that unless the plant is dead as they will surprise you and often respond to corrective treatment. What do these plants need for optimun health? The solution has to be organic in nature. Many thanks in advance for suggestions.
    Joanie

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

If it comes back from the crown later this year and lives on in future cut back in spring instead of fall.

3. Gardener

Gardener Member

Thanks Ron,
    I'm guessing you recommend a spring prune in order to have branch length that will take the hit of freezing weather? I was concerned that more weight of snow and wind would cause uprooting as all major branches and trunks were 20 -30 feet long and growing horizontal to the ground! Perhaps I should have propped the trunks up and waited out the season!?
    Joanie