Acer tataricum ssp. semenovii

Discussion in 'Maple Photo Gallery' started by mjh1676, Apr 26, 2006.

1. mjh1676

mjh1676 Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

A. tataricum ssp. semenovii

Apparantly called the Turkestan Shrub Maple, this plant is supposed to be addapted to hotter drier climates.

I have only had this seed-grown plants since winter, but if it performs well this summer, I will plant it out in the ground in the fall. Not much remarkable to say of it yet, except that there is little information about it.

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Re: Acer semenovii

Probably will come across as less showy than Amur maple (A. tataricum ssp. ginnala), but if you are interested in diversity/building a collection that won't matter.

Big wholesale nurseries back east have selected and are promoting new "Amur" maples that look to me in photos to actually belong to A. tataricum ssp. tataricum (or possibly even A. tataricum ssp. semenovii).

3. Laurie

Laurie Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Acer tataricum ssp. semenovii is from parts of central Russia and Afghanistan. Van Gelderen, in Maples of the World, writes that it is “quite distinct and easily separated from both relatives in all morphological characteristics, as well as having much smaller leaves with no traces of variegation such as demonstrated by A. tartaricum ssp. ginnala. … It grows as a very densely branched shrub.”

Le Hardy de Beaulieu, in An Illustrated Guide to Maples, writes that this maple “is robust and very hardy. Its principal ornamental advantage is the pleasing bright yellow or sometimes orange spring color. It complements the species and subspecies ginnala in the landscape.” He describes the leaves as 3 to 4 cm long, 2 cm wide.

For spring comparison, I will post some photographs in the Photo Gallery of A. tataricum ssp. tataricum and A. tataricum ssp. ginnala (which shows variegation on many leaves). What is the source of your seed? It is interesting to see flowers on such a young specimen.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2006
  4. mjh1676

mjh1676 Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Re: Acer semenovii

Laurie,

My plant is from Forest Farms in Williams, Oregon. When i have some time I will get a good photograph of the whole plant so you can see the size and the lower part of the trunk near the soil. But all in all, I would say it is 3, maybe going on 4 years old, but I have not seen seasonal growth to judge how fast it grows. Of the multilple leaders on this shrub-like plant, I think the one photographed was the only one that flowered.

Sorry for the delay. I don't have a great interest in species forms of maples, but I do have some that I think are attractive. This plant's tendency to do well or be adapted to live in a more hot dry climate made me wonder what level of care it would require here to do well. So, it is an experiement. I suppose some of the similar speicies, subspecies and related maples would have similar characteristics.