Acer rufinerve 'Winters Gold'

Discussion in 'Maple Photo Gallery' started by mendocinomaples, Sep 10, 2005.

1. mendocinomaples

mendocinomaples Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

A great golden snake bark! Vigorous and hardy. Especially nice when placed next to A. conspicuum ' Phoenix' or A. pensylvanicum 'Erythrocladum' 10' in 5 years.

Attached Files:

2. Gomero

Gomero Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

What is the difference between Acer rufinerve 'Winters Gold' and Acer rufinerve 'Erythrocladum' ,? they both look pretty close to me.

Regards,
    Gomero

3. mendocinomaples

mendocinomaples Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Gomero,

Good question. I do not have A. rufinerve "erthyrocladum'. But van Gelderen in Maples for Gardens says A. rufinerve "erthyrocladum' is slow growing and I do not find that to be the case with Winters Gold. Le Hady de Beaulieu in An Illustrated Guide to Maples says that A. rufinerve "erthyrocladum' is fragile and slow growing, which I find the opposite to be true with Winters Gold.

Other than that I can not comment because I do not have them growing side by side.

4. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Another my favorite maple winter 2007 fara sabina Italy alex

Attached Files:

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

The Maples for Gardens description of 'Erythrocladum' as yellow in winter (note that they do not have 'Winter Gold' in the same book) is in disagreement with both the 2002 edition of The Hillier Manual of Trees & Shrubs and Japanese Maples, which say it becomes reddish in winter, "rather similar to the shoots of the Acer pensylvanicum cultivar with the same name"* (Japanese Maples).

'Winter Gold' is also described in Japanese Maples:

"This notable addition to the larger trees with interesting bark originated from a chance seedling observed by the late Peter Douwsma at Olinda, Victoria, Australia, in 1974. Arnold Teese of Monbulk, Victoria, Australia, evaluated and propagated it for several years, and registered it in 1988. In the summer, the bark is a definite yellow green. The winter color is a bright golden yellow which readily attracts attention...."

*Erythros = red and klados = branch

6. alex66

Hi Ron I have also rufinerve Erythrocladum in my garden the bark is yellow in winter striped white ,Winter gold is yellow but not striped, if the time is good next week I send photo of Erythrocladum tanks for informations about Winter gold alex66

7. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

With a minimum of two references (including a maples monograph) saying 'Erythrocladum' is red or reddish (as it should be, with that name) in winter implication is there is misidentified or at least atypical non-reddish stock being circulated.

Belonging to a snakebark species 'Winter Gold' would be expected to have at least some striping, if your specimen is tiny it may become more noticeably striped later.

8. alex66

Hi Ron I have one Erythrocladum red in my garden but is Pensylvanicum Erythrocladum introduced by Spath nursery in 1904 Germany regards alex