Acer palmatum 'Yezo nishiki'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by mjh1676, Aug 10, 2004.

1. mjh1676

mjh1676 Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Pictures taken August '04 of new summer growth and mature leaves. Tree is kept in North-facing shade and gets filtered afternoon sun.
    Specimen Purchased from and cultivated by Forest Farms Nursery in Oregon.

Attached Files:

2. jhayes5032

jhayes5032 Active Member

Yezo nishiki is one of the best 3 season JM's I've found. Unlike most other red uprights it does not relly bronze out in the summer if you give it some sun. The red will mingle in with green in interesting patterns making it appear brownish from a distance

Attached Files:

3. mapledia

mapledia Active Member

Well, you can imagine my consternation. The first photo was taken May 7, 2006, and the second photo on May 4, 2007. These photos are taken of the same plant, in the ground at the exact same location. I must say, however, that May of '06 was incredibly wet because we'd had monsoon level rain for months leading up to May that year. Still, this tree is in a well-drained location and receives filtered sunlight with a Madrone canopy over it. 2007 has been warmer, with nicely-spaced rainfall, and the color of Yezo Nishiki has been totally different this year. It's the wonder of maples.

Attached Files:

4. amazingmaples

amazingmaples Well-Known Member 10 Years

After a few years of disappointing green color I finally see the color in its glory. The photo in Vertrees book is great but not really what the whole tree looks like. On one of my older Yezo nishiki I have found some leaves similar but to the most part it is a red/orange tree with somewhat yellowish branches. The growing habit is more wider with strong lateral branches which do not droop as much as other trees.

I have added photos of the tree in the middle of august, it is changing to a nice red/orange color.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 15, 2011
  5. banjoboy

banjoboy Active Member

New leaves from a new graft.

Attached Files:

6. amazingmaples

amazingmaples Well-Known Member 10 Years

The fall color of the tree is a nice orange red.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 30, 2011