Acer palmatum 'Tequila Sunset'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by mapledia, May 8, 2009.

1. mapledia

mapledia Active Member

Around 2005 I was fortunate enough to find two fine small Olsen's Frosted Strawberry cultivars (which I purchased) and both have given me enormous pleasure in my garden ever since. The frosted strawberry is an unusually vivid plant, and no others have quite the same intensity of spring color. So after a time I wanted to find more of Harry Olsen's plants, especially some of those that he may have been watching in his greenhouse to determine their stability. What turned up is sensational. After Harry Olsen's untimely and tragic death, his collection of unusual cultivars was transferred to the care of one of his very good friends (also a nurseryman), Del Loucks. Del tells me that "Tequila Sunset" was given that name by Harry Olsen's wife. I've since googled Tequila Sunset and find that it's a drink made of orange juice and blackberry brandy, a very good description for this particular plant. Tequila Sunset is orange and dark purple in color, often on the same leaf. I've never seen anything quite like it. The attached photo was taken May 7, 2009.

This amazing cultivar is new to my garden, so I will be watching it with an eagle eye and will post more photos as time goes by. It's pretty stunning and I am very grateful to have it.

Attached Files:

2. mapledia

mapledia Active Member

Here are a couple more photos of 'Tequila Sunset' -- both photos were taken May 9, 2009. I can't say I've seen this color combination before in JMs, but I may be overlooking something. Has anyone else in the UBC site seen this sort of color combo before?

Attached Files:

3. Gomero

Gomero Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

Mapledia,

Those colors are unique, I have not seen likewise. How old is the plant?, are all branches variegated?

Gomero

4. mapledia

mapledia Active Member

Hi Gomero,

I believe the plant is about 6 years old. It's 5 feet tall and the trunk is about 1" in diameter. And yes, all the branches are variegated. More than anyone on this site, you know the thrill of finding something new.

Mapledia

5. winterhaven

winterhaven Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

That is very cool looking. Makes me want to order the drink!

6. mapledia

mapledia Active Member

Another update on 'Tequila Sunset.' When maple enthusiasts see this cultivar, they oooh and aaaah over it. I've not seen this color combination elsewhere, and I'm curious to see how stable the coloration actually is. So far, it's been predictable. This photo was taken May 26, 2010 after a rain storm.

Attached Files:

7. maplesandpaws

maplesandpaws Active Member

Finally got my hands on one - and none too soon, it seems. Del is officially retiring, and has gotten rid of many plants already, though thankfully he had one 1gal Tequila Sunset left.

As you've only posted spring pictures of this cultivar, I was a bit surprised to open the box to find dark green and light yellow-green leaves, not orange and purple. I'm guessing though that these are the summer colors, with the light yellow-green having been the orange, and the dark green the purple - does this match up with what your plant displays? Also, I am curious what fall colors are like? Siting advice - ie, sun/water/wind preferences - would be greatly appreciated, as would a picture of the overall tree you have (would like to know it's general growth habit).

Thanks!!!

Attached Files:

8. maplesandpaws

ever so slowly...

Attached Files:

9. maplesandpaws

My baby is dead *sniff sniff* :( Does anybody have one they want to part with, or some scion wood to share? I would dearly love to have another.

10. maplesandpaws

Going to try again, hopefully with better results.

Attached Files:

11. maplesandpaws

So far, just the light and dark green for coloration - but, this is a young plant, so we'll see what ends up happening with it. Still very attractive imo.

Attached Files:

12. maplesandpaws

Lovely color this spring! Sun exposure all morning until noon; wonder how long it can tolerate this level of sun...

Attached Files: