Acer palmatum 'Reticulatum Purple'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by Acerholic, Jul 8, 2020.

1. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Acer palmatum 'Reticulatum Purple 'can hold it's own with any of the reticulated varieties. I have it close to a few greens so it stands out even more, although as you will see, it does not need any help to stand out. It surprisingly takes a lot of sun. This is a fast grower, so give it plenty of space.
    Two photos of Spring and Summer.

Attached Files:

D97x7 likes this.
  2. Acerholic

This a short update after the very strong drying winds. You can see a little damage, but IMO not too bad at all. Photo 10th July 2020.

Attached Files:

3. Acerholic

Reticulatum purple in the rain is something to behold, it just sparkles. I could have just kept clicking and clicking my camera at this one in my garden today.
    Photo 19th July 2020.

Attached Files:

4. Acerholic

My Reticulatum Purple is still putting on new growth, photos taken today 29th July 2020. So much interest in these leaves, I can look at them all day long and still see something different I haven't noticed earlier.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 12, 2020
    LoverOfMaples likes this.
  5. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

Full shade with some new growth.

Attached Files:

6. Acerholic

@LoverOfMaples goodness, what amazing new growth colour, I've not had that on mine.
    Small pot, but it's very happy. Another season in a pot or the ground this Autumn ??

Got your feet in that one D. I'm good at that also, Lol.

I will see if mine is worth a photo tomorrow morning. Maple that is !!!!

7. LoverOfMaples

Lol. I didn't notice D. I'll have to check the pic next time before posting. I slip potted it into a 1gal after posting. I think it will be ready for the ground fall of 2021 or spring of 2022.

8. Acerholic

@LoverOfMaples, that sounds perfect D, I look forward to your postings of it when it's in the ground and before whilst in the new pot.

9. Acerholic

13th August 2020 and the heatwave has now taken it's toll. New growth and old all suffering.
    But as promised I'm adding these photos to show how cultivars cope at different times of the year and in different conditions. Some definatly not pretty, so have not put them on the Cheering ourselves up with maples thread.
    This is where they should be.
    These two added as promised to D @LoverOfMaples.

Attached Files:

10. Acerholic

20th August 2020 and after days of rain after a heatwave, everything is picking up again. Severe storms coming tomorrow, so I hope I can batten down the hatches so to speak and protect my trees.
    Will the colours last I am asked about my Reticulatum Purple. Well here it is as proof it really does.

Attached Files:

11. Acerholic

All the colours are appearing now on all my maples and as promised I will keep the photo diary going to show the transformation. So much rain now and new growth, the new shoots are loving this weather at last.
    My favourite today 23rd August 2020 in my garden. It was a close call but this one just looked a bit special IMO.

Attached Files:

12. Acerholic

30th August 2020 and it is definitely getting colder. My maples are very happy now that the Summer heat has passed. They are all enjoying the early morning sun.
    This one is getting better and better as the season is about to change. A few blotches are visible on some leaves that I have tried purposely not to hide.
    Still my favourite in my garden today.

Attached Files:

13. Acerholic

6th September 2020 and there has been a lot of talk on the maples forum about the strange colours this year. Yes they are strange, but enjoyable to see none the less.
    Some dew and some very early light and my Reticulatum Purple said to me, 'take my photo". So here it is .

Attached Files:

14. Acerholic

8th September 2020 and the heat is returning, but very cloudy. My maples will enjoy this as long as there is no more new growth.
    Yes the colour is still there, but as can now be seen, a little bit of Autumn decay is starting to appear at the edges.

Attached Files:

15. Acerholic

14th September 2020 and although it is going to be hot later, a lovely early morning dew was on my maples.
    Reticulatum Purple is more red in these conditions, but Oh how colourful!!!

Attached Files:

16. Acerholic

19th September 2020 and Summer is ending this weekend according to forecasts. Bright early morning sun is still helping maples in my garden to look nice.
    My smaller Reticulatum Purple had to have a photo shared. Tiny but full of colour.

Attached Files:

17. Acerholic

21st September 2020, the day before the Equinox and still so many requests for this one.

Attached Files:

18. Acerholic

29th September 2020 and I'm trying to get a continuous photo diary as promised of the same area of my Reticulatum Purple.

Attached Files:

19. Acerholic

5th October 2020 and very ominous dark skies that made my flash go off when taking photos this morning. So many peoples favourite according to all the PM' s I receive on this cultivar, I just had to add it today.

Attached Files:

20. Acerholic

14th October 2020 and now the vivid colours come out to play on my Reticulatum Purple.

Attached Files:

21. Acerholic

30th March 2021 and the deepness of the purple is so evident in this cultivar right from the off !! I always spend time, especially early morning in Spring just wandering around my garden marvelling at the new buds forming. How wonderful nature is.
    Reticulatum purple714.JPG

22. Acerholic

7th April 2021 and -5°C here over night. Not looking too bad IMO.
    Reticulatum purple 182.JPG

23. Acerholic

14th April 2021, 7 days on and the wonderful leaves of this cultivar start to give and give. This will go on for many weeks and as promised to several members, I will update regularly.
    Reticulatum purple 190.JPG

24. LoverOfMaples

Spring pics of my 'Reticulatum Purple'

Attached Files:

Acerholic likes this.
  25. Acerholic

Lovely D, but Reticulatum Purple??