Acer palmatum 'Oshio beni'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by swanny, Oct 27, 2005.

1. swanny

swanny Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Acer amoenum 'Oshio Beni'

These are two pictures, taken this Fall, of my "Oshio Beni" purchased and planted Spring 2003. The tree is planted beneath tall mature oaks and receives little direct sunlight but still retains red leaves during the Summer. Tree is now about 6 feet tall. Very beautiful in a gentle breeze!

Swanny

Attached Files:

2. shiroi oni

shiroi oni Active Member

Re: Acer Amoenum "Oshio Beni"

My Oshio Beni has just begun bud breaking. Just in time for spring.

Attached Files:

3. nelran

nelran Active Member

Here is my Oshio Beni, (last year)

Attached Files:

4. nelran

nelran Active Member

Now, this year in early spring= april color... quite a change!

Attached Files:

5. Kaitain4

Kaitain4 Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

A big tree with unusual leaf colors. Here are descriptions and pics of the plant I just got in.

"An upright growing tree reaching a height of 20-30 feet at maturity. New growth is bright orange red. Almost like a brick in color. As the summer approaches the leaves become bronze and then a dull reddish green. The bright color appears once again in the fall as the tree turns to scarlet."

Attached Files:

6. winterhaven

winterhaven Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

It looks to me that the Acer amoenum 'Oshio Beni' in the Maple Photo Gallery thread is a synanym for Acer palmatum Oshio Beni. Maybe it should be relabled and moved here?

Anyway, here are two pics I snapped with my phone this weekend of two different Oshio Benis. The large one just getting its color was $1200. Choke. I bought the smaller one.

Attached Files:

7. Kaitain4

OK, I'm not a botanist, so I hope I don't offend anyone here if I don't say this exactly right. The Amoenum classification is no longer used as a species name - more like a sub-category. Amoenum, Dissectum, Linearilobum, Matsumurae, Palmatum all fall under the classification of 'Acer palmatum'. A new classification was recently added - 'Acer shirasawanum' and some trees in the Palmatum group and the Japonicum group were re-classified and moved to this group. For the sake of the nursery trade, the following classifications are used, and are all considered "Japanese Maples".

Acer palmatum
    Acer japonicum
    Acer shirasawanum
    Acer sieboldianum
    Acer pseudosieboldianum

and there is one North American type that often is sold right along with the JMs, and is indeed related to them and can hybridize with them:

Acer circinatum

Hope that helps...

Last edited: Oct 22, 2008
  8. Kaitain4

Oh yes, nice pics! Beautiful tree!! You're lucky to live where they grow a lot of these trees and can find the larger sizes in local nurseries. Where I live, you mostly see Bloodgood and Crimson Queen and that's about it! So I have to rely on mail order.

9. winterhaven

Thank you for the clarification regarding the subtype. I'm glad you like the photos. I'd hoped you'd enjoy seeing what your tree is going to look like someday. I do feel really privaledged to live by a nursery that stocks such great specimens and be able to see these trees, even if I can't afford them. So I thought I'd share the sights.

10. Kaitain4

Which nursery was it? I was able to visit Whitney Gardens once, and they have spectacular maples there.

11. winterhaven

Valley Nursery in Poulsbo, WA. Eric is their Japanese maple contact and Lisa is their Buyer.

Whitney Gardens - Brinnon is pretty close to me. So is Heronswood.

I'm just now finding out about these places. I can't wait to go see. I think a road trip is in order before we loose any more leaves just to SEE them. But life is pressing.

12. nelran

nelran Active Member

Thanks, Winterhaven. I can't see these beatiful trees in person but as you said, at least I can see how they look in mature stage. I would like to know how old are they? (just to estimate how much pacience I will need...)

Regards

Nelson

Last edited: Oct 29, 2008
  13. nelran

nelran Active Member

Here is some pics of mine 'oshio beni'. As the books say, it doesn't hold the full red color for a long time turning greenish and bonze, as summer progress. But it has a nice strong red in young leaves during almost all spring. Mine is mild tolerant to heat and sun, but it seems very strong.

Attached Files:

14. nelran

nelran Active Member

Re: Acer amoenum 'Oshio Beni'

New leaves for Autumn

Attached Files:

15. winterhaven

This is a picture of the same Oshio Beni I posted earlier taken just one day later. This tree pushed me off the fence into buying a smaller version. Which I LOVE. I set it in front of a thicket of mixed greens and yellows and the red pops from all the way across the property.

Nelson, I just don't know how old they'd be. I'm going to guess somewhere between 8-12 years? Anybody else?

I need to go back to that nursery and return a vine maple they talked me into buying - I'd rather save the space on the property for the JM's. Plus I didn't like what I read about it online. If Eric is there, I will ask him to estimate the age and I will let you know.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 24, 2008
  16. winterhaven

And then here is another tree at the same nursery sitting right next to the previous that hasn't turned color.

Attached Files:

17. 01876

01876 Active Member

Couple of photos I took on this dazzling cultivar this early summer

18. Poetry to Burn

Poetry to Burn Active Member

Ya that is dazzling! How much sun and wind does it get? How does it look right now?

19. winterhaven

Nelson,

Your tree is lovely. I'm sorry I didn't say so before.

Regarding age, the nurserwoman told me between 8-12 years depending on the tee. We think the Mejishi is just about 10 years.

20. nelran

nelran Active Member

Thanks, winterhaven. I don't know exactly which is the real age of mine. The ID isn't showing it. I estimate it's about 4-5 years old. I discovered that the growing rate for trees keeping in pots is much slower than others in ground. I proved this with my specimens of "Butterfly", (I have 3: two are in pots and one in ground), The one in ground clearly overpassed the ones in pots. It is now twice as tall and tree times the caliper of the potted ones. That's mean is difficult sometimes to estimate the age of trees based on their sizes.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2008
  21. JohanAbrandt

JohanAbrandt Active Member

I am a beginner when it comes to gardening, so perhaps this question is stupid, but I´ll ask it anyhow - is the tree "born" when the seedling starts, or when the graft is done?

22. xman

xman Active Member

Johan,

Interesting question. As far as grafted Japanese maples are concerned, more importance is placed on what is above the ground. So usually one is more interested when the top was grafted on. That is why you see them referred to as a first year graft, second year etc.
    The rootstock is usually about a year old when it is grafted on to, again this varies. Some time the root stock may be a little older or younger. The ones that I bought that had a tag, always mentioned the graft date only.

xman

23. JohanAbrandt

JohanAbrandt Active Member

Ok, thanks for the info.

This brought more questions related to age and grafting, but I started a new thread in the main forum, not to hijack this thread.

24. 01876

01876 Active Member

Hi,
    It gets full sun and has no wind protection here in Mass. Here are couple pictures I snapped this afternoon.

Joe

25. Poetry to Burn

Poetry to Burn Active Member

Thanks for follow up. Completely impressive for late October.
    Have you had to supply much supplemental water? What is your soil like?

'OB' might be the sturdy addition I'm seeking for the beach side garden.

Appreciate your attention 01876.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2008