Acer palmatum 'Mon Papa'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by Kaitain4, Oct 18, 2008.

1. Kaitain4

Kaitain4 Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

This new tree is putting on its fall colors. I like the shape and color:

"Olive-green spring color and then turning browinsh-crimson in the summer months. Holds color well. Fall time brings a bright orange-reddish color. Medium, upright tree reaching 10-13 ft. Very feathery in appearance due to the deeply divided leaves."

Attached Files:

2. winterhaven

winterhaven Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Ooh, I like the leaf shape.

3. Kaitain4

Kaitain4 Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

Yes, its lovely, isn't it? It reminds me of the old NBC Peacock (I'm dating myself here), but all red! :-)

4. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

very very nice!

5. directorrod

directorrod Active Member

Does anyone know the zone number for 'Mon Papa' ?

6. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

This is my Acer palmatum ' Mon papa' A fathers day gift in 2019.
    The colour of the leaves on this one are very subtle. The gentle pink highlights the green veining beautifully IMO.

Attached Files:

LoverOfMaples likes this.
  7. Acerholic

This is the up to date photo of my Mon Papa just discussed on the Cheering ourselves up with maples thread. Got through a very difficult few days of strong drying winds.

Attached Files:

8. Acerholic

Thought I had better add my Autumn photo of this wonderful maple.
    I think it's colour is outstanding, especially against a back ground of greens.

Attached Files:

Luke’s Maples likes this.
  9. Luke’s Maples

Luke’s Maples Generous Contributor

Where was this wonderful gift purchased?

10. Acerholic

Photo this morning 9th August 2020, my Mon Papa is just starting to turn. Had to get very close to see it, but it is. Coping well with a few days of 30° plus heat.

Attached Files:

11. Acerholic

All the colours are appearing now on all my maples and as promised I will keep the photo diary going to show the transformation. So much rain now and new growth, the new shoots are loving this weather at last.
    I do love the toothed lobes on my Mon papa, the rain drops just hang on them.
    23rd August 2020 photo.

Attached Files:

12. Acerholic

4th September 2020 and the days seem to be getting shorter and shorter, which is a bit too fast for me. Busy time of the year in the garden for us maple growers, with less daylight !!!
    A morning with no dew or rain, but colours now popping up everywhere!!
    Lovely subtle changes now on my Mon Papa. Transition phase often overlooked.

Attached Files:

13. Acerholic

6th September 2020 and there has been a lot of talk on the maples forum about the strange colours this year. Yes they are strange, but enjoyable to see none the less.
    Some early dew and my Mon Papa was rather photogenic this morning. So couldn't resist showing how this cultivar looks.

Attached Files:

14. Acerholic

10th September 2020 and my maples are now racing into Autumnal colours. So warm and sunny at the moment, it does seem a bit strange though.
    Now this will grow into a very big tree in time, so if you are thinking of buying this cultivar, as some are. Do give it room.

Attached Files:

15. Acerholic

A lot of PM's last night asking about many of my cultivars, so here this morning, 11th September 2020 is my Mon Papa. OK just one day later, but as promised here it is taken a few minutes ago.

Attached Files:

16. Acerholic

13th September 2020 and the sun is shining and it is getting warmer and warmer once again. So I hope my photo conveys this lovely near Autumn day.

Attached Files:

17. Acerholic

20th September 2020 and new growth plus some strange colouring on my maples now. Mon Papa is thank goodness doing everything right.

Attached Files:

18. Acerholic

17th April 2021 and here is the start of one of my darkest in my collection, 'Mon Papa', just starting to unfurl.
    I don't see this one around too often in friends collections and I do wonder why, as it is perfect amongst the greens IMO.
    Mon Papa 193.JPG

19. Acerholic

3rd May 2021 in the very early morning sunshine, my Mon Papa has come to play for another year.
    Mon papa 211.JPG

20. Acerholic

22nd May 2021and here is my Mon Papa after some heavy rain. Like a sugar coating!!
    Mon Papa 234.JPG

21. Acerholic

28th May 2021 and my Mon Papa is still performing with those deep dark reds.
    Mon papa 242.JPG Mon papa 243.JPG

D97x7 likes this.
  22. Acerholic

6th April 2022 and my Mon Papa is under way. This is such a dark cultivar. Unfortunately my camera doesn't pick it up. I will update in a few weeks and try to show how dark a leaf it has.
    Mon Papa April 2022.JPG

AlainK and Xi-feng like this.
  23. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

I have one seedling sprouting from a dozen seeds sent by a friend. The cotyledons were green, but the first pair of leaves is red. I wonder how it will develop...

24. Acerholic

15th May 2022 and now in full leaf. This one has a dark sheen in the early sunshine.
    Mon Papa May 14th 2022.JPG

Xi-feng, AlainK and D97x7 like this.
  25. Acerholic

29th May 2022 and tree and leaf photos today in my garden.
    Mon Papa 29th May 2022.JPG Mon Papa 29th May 2022 (2).JPG

D97x7 and Xi-feng like this.