Acer palmatum 'Mikazuki'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by Maple_Lady, May 27, 2010.

1. Maple_Lady

Maple_Lady Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Mikazuki means 'crescent moon' in Japanese. A lovely pink variegated maple with hints of cream. The primary color is pink. Grows naturally in a nice shape, well branched without needing excess pruning.

Attached Files:

2. mapledia

mapledia Active Member

Mikazuki is fast becoming a favorite in my garden. It's coloration is special during the entire growing season, and the chartreuse veins are unusually brilliant. This photo was taken May 9, 2009.

Attached Files:

3. amazingmaples

amazingmaples Well-Known Member 10 Years

I am excited to see this tree, I ordered two for this next season. I guess I will have to get a truck down to Oregon to get them.

4. MrMaple

MrMaple Member Maple Society

This is a striking cultivar. The reticulated leaf really shows off in the early spring. The colors are also very showy contrasting well with my other trees.

Here is a photo from back in May.

Matt

Attached Files:

Acerholic likes this.
  5. amazingmaples

This has a nice bright color to start off spring. I have added more photos as the leaves open up.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 20, 2011
  6. amazingmaples

this is an interesting tree. I like it but at the same time It is not one of the more attractive trees. The coloring seems a bit smeary. I would put it high on my list but probably not a top 10 tree for me.

Attached Files:

7. mapledia

mapledia Active Member

I tend to agree with you that it wouldn't make my "top ten" list, but it would probably make the "top 25 list." I like the spring color, and when it goes to summer color I enjoy the reticulated coloring a lot. I think it's unusual (especially the color of the veining), and it reminds me of a greener version of Olsen's Frosted Strawberry, not a bad plant to be compared to.

Mapledia

8. amazingmaples

I find this tree to be good in a smaller form where you look at it up close. From a distance it is a pale pink with a bit of a brownish tint. So as I see it, the tree has great leaves but so so as a tree in the garden. I have aslo found that many of the people who walk through my place walk right by and do not even notice it. I will try it in a few different locations.

Attached Files:

9. banjoboy

banjoboy Active Member

as far as individual leaf interest Mikazuki is one of my favorite reticulated varieties. Mine is still young but there is just so much contrast in the leaf.

Attached Files:

10. amazingmaples

I still am not sure if what to think about the tree. I would sy most people walk right by it and do not even notice it. When I stop them and have them look at the leaves, there is more interest but to the most part people do not want it in their garden as a tree.

Attached Files:

11. Maple_Lady

Maple_Lady Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Nice size specimen Charlie.

I've noticed that Mikazuki in a container tends to fade out more of the color than in the ground. The Mikazuki's I have for in one and three gallons are nearly white - compared to the one in my display garden.

Attached Files:

12. amazingmaples

I have one in the ground and two in pots and there is not much difference. They are new arrivals so they may have more food in them and have a color distortion. I will find out more next year.

13. mapledia

mapledia Active Member

I do agree with Amazingmaples that most people don't really notice Mikazuki unless you point it out to them. It's a subtle plant. But once you do point it out to them, they realize how unusual it is. I'm a fan of this cultivar, even though it doesn't have the WOW factor from afar.

14. amazingmaples

I would agree, the tree has interesting leaves but not necessarily the best tree for a garden setting. None of mine are in full sun, so that will be my next test with the tree. I am sure its coloring will be different

15. mapledia

mapledia Active Member

Mine is in considerable shade and is doing fabulously well. It does receive some limited afternoon sun, but even that is fairly filtered. I'll be curious to hear from you how your Mikazuki does when placed in more sun. Should be interesting. I have much enjoyed how interesting this plant seems to be each month of the growing season (when everything else is pretty much red or green for the summer).

16. amazingmaples

all in perspective, mikazuki is perfect in the fact that it does have a unique coloring this time of year compared to most all of the maples.

17. amazingmaples

here are the fall colors ii had for 2011

Attached Files:

18. amazingmaples

The spring color and the shape of the leaves do make this tree quite enjoyable. i have added photos from a couple of my Mikazuki

Attached Files:

• 056.jpg
      056.jpg
      File size:
      147.5 KB
      Views:
    • 058.jpg
      058.jpg
      File size:
      132.5 KB
      Views:
    • 059.jpg
      059.jpg
      File size:
      146.5 KB
      Views:
    • 060.jpg
      060.jpg
      File size:
      111.7 KB
      Views:
    • 061.jpg
      061.jpg
      File size:
      109.4 KB
      Views:
    • 008.jpg
      008.jpg
      File size:
      106.9 KB
      Views:
    • 010.jpg
      010.jpg
      File size:
      235.7 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
    Acerholic likes this.
  19. amazingmaples

The second year in the ground and I find the tree to have a more vivid coloration. I think the tree works best in the garden when you see it more up close.

Attached Files:

• 025.jpg
      025.jpg
      File size:
      275.7 KB
      Views:
    • 026.jpg
      026.jpg
      File size:
      289.4 KB
      Views:
    • 028.jpg
      028.jpg
      File size:
      256.1 KB
      Views:
  20. amazingmaples

i still find the tree to be one hard to sell during much of the year. I am going to try a new location for it next year to see if i can find its best setting. it did look great in its current location in spring. .

Attached Files:

• 063.jpg
      063.jpg
      File size:
      242.2 KB
      Views:
  21. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

I haven't had this one long, but it is showing that it is going to end up being a real favourite in my garden. Acer palmatum ' Mikazuki'.
    It is definitely better seen close up to appreciate.

Attached Files:

Mani likes this.
  22. Acerholic

An update on the progress of my Mikazuki in July 2020. The strong drying winds that I thought would do it some damage has surprisingly not occurred. IMO this maple is getting better and better.

Attached Files:

Mani likes this.
  23. Acerholic

Now August 3rd 2020, this one is holding up really well considering it is one if my more delicate varieties I have in my garden. A heatwave is due at the end of the week, so we will see how it copes.

Attached Files:

24. Acerholic

Day three of extreme heat 36° C, the regular updates as promised. Today expected to be hotter. Photo 8th August 2020.

Attached Files:

25. Acerholic

12th August 2020 still very hot and in fact yesterday was the hottest I've ever seen in my garden. Ground temperature hit 48° C by my trees.
    They are all now suffering. But I will continue the Summer diary as requested.
    Doing OK IMO, heatwave nearly over so let's see in a few days what effect the heat had on my Mikazuki.

Attached Files: