Acer palmatum 'Metamorphosa'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by Acerholic, Jul 6, 2020.

1. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

23rd May 2022 and more messages about this one. So here it is.
    Metamorphosa 23rd May 2022.JPG

D97x7 likes this.
  2. Acerholic

31st May 2022 and a full shot of my Metamorphosa this morning.
    Metamorphosa 31st May 2022.JPG

D97x7 likes this.
  3. Acerholic

8th June 2022 and I thought I would show what a cool damp start to Summer has done for my Metamorphosa. Absolutely no burning this year.
    Metamorphosa 8th June 2022.JPG Metamorphosa 8th June 2022 (2).JPG

Xi-feng and D97x7 like this.
  4. Cattwooduk

Cattwooduk Well-Known Member

Love this one, still planning on finding a corner for it somewhere here!

Would pretty much full shade be ok? I'm somewhat limited to either full shade positions, or minimum 5 hours direct sun now. I could probably move some bits around though and fit it in a spot giving 7-11am sun, then shade until 7pm until the sun goes down.

5. Acerholic

As much shade as possible Chris. Treat it like Jordan and it will be fine. It is also one that takes a good couple of years to settle to a new environment.

6. Cattwooduk

Cattwooduk Well-Known Member

I had thought Jordan was ok with a decent amount of sun? I was going to put mine in a place where it would be getting full sun from morning until 2/3pm! I may have to rethink that then.
    At the moment in a nursery pot it is getting sun until noon and has only very little scorch, so I had assumed once established in the ground it would be ok. I quite like the 'washed out' yellow outer leaves contrasting with the more lime green inside leaves.

7. Acerholic

Totally agree Chris, Jordan does aclimatise, but it takes a few years. Mine gets sun up until noon and after a few moves I found that this is just enough. I also keep the roots moist rather more than others Tbh.
    Metamorphosa is equally the same from my experience with it. I have them both (Jordan & Metamorphosa) very close to each other in my garden, for those reasons of similarity in positioning to stop the fried edges to the lobes.