Acer palmatum 'Lionheart'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by Elmore, Apr 8, 2004.

1. Elmore

Elmore Active Member 10 Years

This is Acer palmatum 'Lionheart'.

Attached Files:

2. mjh1676

mjh1676 Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Here are a couple leaf shots of a Lionheart I have had for 2 years now. The plant stands about 3-4ft tall and has not shown a great deal of vigor or shown enough growth to evaluate its supposed tendency to be "MORE" upright than most dissectums. This plant is in partial shade >50% and has a pleasing leaf that is on the large side for a deeply divided plant.

Attached Files:

3. mattlwfowler

mattlwfowler Active Member Maple Society

The leaves are indeed on the large side, and it will throw out some leaves that have this unusual structure. I am still evaluating it's upward tendency as well, but I have noticed that new young shoots tend to hold upright better than most.

Attached Files:

4. dawgie

dawgie Active Member 10 Years

I would like to see photos of a Lion Heart showing the whole tree so you can see its form. Since it is supposed to be the only upright red dissectum, it would be nice to see what its form looks like. If you've seen one red dissectum leaf, you've pretty much seen them all.

5. mattlwfowler

I would too, but mine is still small.

6. prairiestyle

prairiestyle Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

7. sasquatch

sasquatch Active Member

May 2009

Attached Files:

8. winterhaven

winterhaven Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

So does this cultivar hold its red or does it green out? Anybody have any fall color reports or pictures? I have an opportunity to get a nice sized one, but I'm on the fence.

9. mattlwfowler

Here you go...this photo is from the end of June. I guess that doesn't say much when considering our climate differences, because the only tree I have that holds its color all summer here is Hefner's Red. If memory servers right it holds better than Garnet and Orangeola. Red Select and Tamukeyama were similar as far as color retention in medium sun. My Inaba shidare held a bit better for a little longer but it is in partial shade. Red dragon held much better, but it is also in morning sun. Red filigree lace held better, but Beni kumo no su and Red feathers were similar in retention. Crimson queen has been too variable for me to nail it down, but one of my three strains lost its color at about the same time, but the other two held up a bit longer. Hope this helps :)

Attached Files:

10. winterhaven

winterhaven Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Thank you, Matt. That is very helpful. I really like the comparisons, it'll give me something to chew on for awhile. In the meantime, I think I'm going to hold off on this one.

11. amazingmaples

amazingmaples Well-Known Member 10 Years

this is a great tree in a tall form

Attached Files:

12. amazingmaples

here is the tree with fall color

Attached Files:

13. amazingmaples

here is the spring color for the same tree

Attached Files:

14. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Here is my Acer palmatum 'Lionheart' at the start of leafing out and in Summer 2020.
    Holds it's colour well in full sun.

Attached Files:

15. Acerholic

An update on my Lionheart on the 10th July 2020. Quite apt as I'm reading about the Crusades atm. Time on my hands in retirement, lol
    This is having no troubles at all in the sun. If you live in a hotter climate, then do consider this cultivar. It makes a lovely weeping dome shape in around 10 years.

Attached Files:

16. Acerholic

As can be seen, this cultivar does perfectly well in full sun. Updated today 22nd July 2020 after requests to keep Summer photo diary going.

Attached Files:

17. Acerholic

After a nights rain this is how my Lionheart rewards me first thing in the morning. 24th July 2020.

Attached Files:

18. Acerholic

More rain but very heavy this time. Really flattened my Lionheart, but another photo opportunity not to waste.
    24th July 2020.

Attached Files:

19. Acerholic

August 5th 2020 without rain this time. No matter the weather this cultivar performs for me and it will for anybody else who purchases this cultivar.

Attached Files:

20. Acerholic

August 6th 2020 and extreme heat is forecast over the next few days, so I thought I would post photos of my dissectums before and after to show how they cope. This I feel can be useful for people considering buying a particular variety.

Attached Files:

21. Acerholic

11th August 2020 and the heatwave continues, trying to update as many as I can as requested, even if they are not looking too good. Important to do this I feel.
    At least I'm up to date with my Lionheart. Still looking pretty IMO.

Attached Files:

22. Acerholic

15th August 2020, lots of rain at last, the leaves have freshend up so quickly. My misting I carry out in the evenings in hot weather was of no use this year when temperatures were in the mid 30 C 's for many many days. It just evaporated so quickly.
    My Lionheart is so very good in 2020. Not a problem in all conditions and now sparkling in the Summer rain.

Attached Files:

23. Acerholic

All the colours are appearing now on all my maples and as promised I will keep the photo diary going to show the transformation. So much rain now and new growth, the new shoots are loving this weather at last.
    Amazing colours now emerging on my Lionheart. Photo 23rd August 2020.

Attached Files:

24. Acerholic

August 29th 2020 and Autumn colours are very fast approaching. It even feels like we are in October today rather than August. 7° C at the moment.
    A dry day and some sun and my Lionheart is loving it.

Attached Files:

25. Acerholic

Well it's the last day of August 2020 and as we have had a lot of rain and cooler weather here in England over the past two weeks, all my maples are doing well for the time of year.
    Changing rapidly now, so am making sure the diary is up to date as requested.

Attached Files: