Acer palmatum 'Grandma Ghost'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by yweride, May 17, 2005.

1. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

One of my very favourites of the ghost series Acer palmatum ' Grandma ghost '. A photo of mine I use as my profile photo on the UBC is from November 2019.
    These three are from my garden in Spring and Sumner 2020.
    It's an all season winner IMO.

Attached Files:

2. Acerholic

What can I say about Grandma ghost other than a WOW in my garden once again. If you only have room for one Ghost, then surely it has to be this cultivar.
    Photo taken on the 10th July 2020. ( early morning)

This why it's my profile photo. (November).

Attached Files:

3. Acerholic

My Grandma ghost is putting on it's Summer growth right now. Not quite the colours of Spring but I think it's rather nice. Photo this morning 15th July 2020.

Attached Files:

4. Acerholic

Still showing why this is possibly the favourite of all ghosts. 21st July 2020.

Attached Files:

5. Acerholic

It rained through the night and so the camera came out first thing this morning to capture rain drops on my Grandma ghost. 24th July 2020.

Attached Files:

6. Acerholic

1st August 2020, record breaking temperatures yesterday and this is my Grandma ghost this morning. New growth everywhere in my garden.

Attached Files:

7. Acerholic

Day three of extreme heat 36° C, the regular updates as promised. Today expected to be hotter. Photo 8th August 2020.

Attached Files:

8. Acerholic

13th August 2020 and the heatwave has now taken it's toll. New growth and old all suffering.
    But as promised I'm adding these photos to show how cultivars cope at different times of the year and in different conditions. Some definatly not pretty, so have not put them on the Cheering ourselves up with maples thread !!!!
    This is where they should be.
    Will these new shoots survive on my Grandma ghost, I doubt it in the this heat.

Attached Files:

9. Acerholic

19th August 2020, lashings of rain for last 3 days, everything is picking up, so a good Autumn display is still on the cards.
    One week on and my Grandma ghost is starting to give thise spooky colours and patterns again.
    A little damage from the heat, but it does give it character IMO.

Attached Files:

10. Acerholic

Well its the beginning of September 2020 and the dew is appearing on the leaves. Together with the fast changing colours, it's that time of year of joy in the maple garden.
    I think Grandma Ghost was produced with September in mind. It just gets better and better now until the leaves fall.

Attached Files:

11. Acerholic

14th September 2020 and although it is going to be hot later, a lovely early morning dew was on my maples.
    Grandma ghost shows why it is a favourite in my garden and especially in these weather conditions.

Attached Files:

12. Acerholic

26th September 2020 when all around is doom and gloom, some maples are still showing new growth however cold it is.
    Oh what a cultivar this is !! Grandma ghost should be in every garden IMO.

Attached Files:

13. Acerholic

October 6th 2020 and very wet, but with early morning sunshine it is making my maples look rather pretty IMO. Grandma Ghost getting better and better everyday.

Attached Files:

14. Acerholic

12th October 2020 and here are two photos of my Grandma ghost showing why it's such a firm favourite of mine. The ghostly leaves hold on better on this cultivar than any other in the ghost series.

Attached Files:

15. Acerholic

21st October 2020 and my favourite ghost is not disappointing this year.

Attached Files:

16. Acerholic

26th October 2020 and after a battering over the weekend from intense rain, my Grandma ghost was a winner in my garden this morning.

Attached Files:

AlainK likes this.
  17. Acerholic

Grandma ghost on the 16th February 2021 has started to show why it's such a favourite in my garden. It never disappoints.
    Grandma ghost 700.JPG

AlainK likes this.
  18. Maple_Lady

Maple_Lady Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

I hope you are not in the brutally cold areas of this country. This is killer cold for all plants, not just maples.

19. Acerholic

Good morning Sam, it's very mild here in Southern England, 13°C. So mine are OK unless the polar vortex you are suffering in the US comes this way.

20. Maple_Lady

Maple_Lady Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

You are so lucky. I am so worried about this once in a million deep freeze that is covering most of the U.S. The South has not seen temperatures this cold before. Below zero in Texas and snow on the Gulf Coast states - Mississippi, Alabama, Texas - even Galveston which is really south next to Mexico. This prolonged sub-zero freeze is going to kill millions of plants and maples, not just in yards and gardens, but I fear that nurseries everywhere are going to be hit hard. We moved 14" of snow off my 3 unheated greenhouses and saved them from collapse. The metal is bent, but still standing. I have 5' of snow between two greenhouses that we managed to save. I am in the Pacific NW and we are now getting hit with another storm - but luckily for us only rain. I am worried about the rest of the country because it is going to be cold another week.

21. Acerholic

Just been watching it on the news and it is looking bad. There is nothing I can say to make it any better, other than we are sending you our thoughts for a safe next several days as in the end that's what really matters.

22. Acerholic

2nd April 2021 and I wasn't going add this just yet, but after I was reminded to do so, here it is .
    Grandma ghost 176.JPG
    Always the last along with Baby ghost to leaf out. Well in my garden it is.

23. Acerholic

4th May 2021 and over a month has passed since my last posting and my Grandma ghost is only just starting to leaf out. It is so late this year. But as it's been the coldest April in 60 years, it can be forgiven for not wanting to come out to play.
    Grandma ghost 215.JPG

Luke’s Maples likes this.
  24. Acerholic

9th May 2021 and such a warm night compared to the last 8 weeks. So now my Grandma ghost looks as it should for this time of the year.
    Grandma ghost 221.JPG

Xi-feng likes this.
  25. Acerholic

1st June 2021 and now my Grandma ghost is rewarding all the patience I've given it. So very late this season though.
    Grandma ghost 248.JPG

Xi-feng and D97x7 like this.