Acer palmatum 'Black Lace'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by Jeffers, Mar 17, 2014.

1. Jeffers

Jeffers Member

hi
    Any body got any info on this one. Came with the usual basic blurb. 2 metres tall goblet shaped. picture used shows almost black with sun shining through the leaves to provide red/yellow veins in the leaves. probably very new as has PBR plastered all over the label.

2. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Re: Acer palmatum 'Black Lace'

Maillot Bonsai have a few pictures on their site; nice jagged leaves, says it is a Dutch variety. Seems Black Lace ® is a registered trademark, like many PBR varieties, so there will also be a cultivar name somewhere in the background.
    http://www.maillot-erable.com/en/acer_black_lace_%C2%AE-1187.php

3. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

My first Acer palmatum 'Black Lace' arrived today. 8th July 2020.
    I first saw this wonderful cultivar on the cheering ourselves up with maples thread posted by R @dicky5ash and so I hinted strongly about it for a possible fathers day gift. A couple of weeks later I saw another lovely one posted by Luke @Luke’s Maples. I was now getting worried that my hints had not worked.
    But on Fathers day 2020, I was told along with other gifts, that Black Lace had been ordered and on it's way to me.
    So here it is and I'm so pleased. It really is as dark as it's name. I will update over the next few years on itis progress in my garden.
    It came from Maillot in France, the packaging was exceptional and even in July after travelling in a box for several days, it was looking very healthy indeed.

Attached Files:

D97x7 and dicky5ash like this.
  4. Acerholic

New growth on my Black Lace today 21st July 2020, I really love this tree and thank R @dicky5ash and Luke @Luke’s Maples for putting me on to this one.

Attached Files:

dicky5ash likes this.
  5. Acerholic

August 2nd 2020, my Black lace has suffered through this heat as can be seen on the left of my photo. But together with some scorched leaves there is this.

Attached Files:

6. Acerholic

More new leaves on my Black Lace, this is fast becoming a real favourite in my garden.
    Photo very early 5th August 2020.

Attached Files:

7. Acerholic

22nd August 2020 and my garden is looking like its Spring, all my maples are putting on this amazing amount of new growth. The weirdest year ever !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    The rain makes my Black Lace look even darker, definitely one to be viewed after a Summer shower.

Attached Files:

8. Acerholic

Well it's the last day of August 2020 and as we have had a lot of rain and cooler weather here in England over the past two weeks, all my maples are doing well for the time of year.
    Early sun and oh how this cultivar pops !!
    Do get this one if you have a position in your garden for it. You will not regret it one bit.

Attached Files:

9. Acerholic

15th September 2020 and the weather is hot, but an early dew is making my maples look pretty. My Black Lace is a winner in my garden this year IMO. So very pleased with it.

Attached Files:

D97x7 likes this.
  10. Acerholic

14th March 2021 and this the first time I've seen buds swelling on my new Black lace. I'm not disappointed one bit.
    Black lace 705.JPG

11. Acerholic

21st March 2021 and after a request on PM's today I photographed my Black lace. Not much different. But it is swelling and starting to unfurl in the afternoon sun.
    Black lace 706.JPG

12. Acerholic

30th March 2021 and even after an overnight frost my Black lace is trying hard to open. I love the deep black/ reds of this cultivar.
    Black lace 714.JPG

13. Acerholic

11th April 2021 and this is how my Black lace was looking first thing this morning. Nothing is stopping my love of this maple.
    Black Lace 186.JPG

14. Acerholic

1st May 2021 and here we go now for some wonderful deep and dark leaves on my Black lace.
    Black lace 210.JPG

15. Acerholic

5th May 2021 and my Black lace has coped with the late Spring frosts very well indeed. Only a couple more forecasted for tonight and tomorrow, so we will see what happens.
    Black lace 217.JPG

16. Acerholic

29th May 2021 and Oh how I love this cultivar. Especially in the early sunshine in my garden.
    Black Lace 233.JPG

Ghost74 and D97x7 like this.
  17. Acerholic

19th June 2021, nearly time for the solstice and my Black lace is looking OK.
    Black lace 275.JPG

Xi-feng and D97x7 like this.
  18. Acerholic

6th July 2021 and my Black Lace goes from strength to strength. The weather makes no difference to this one.
    Black Lace 294.JPG

D97x7 likes this.
  19. Acerholic

21st July 2021 and this is what greeted me first thing this morning. Perfect after no sleep last night due to the heat.
    Black lace 306.JPG

20. Acerholic

11th April 2022 and my Black Lace is on the move at last. I think it just waited for the frosts to stop.
    Black Lace April 2022.JPG

D97x7 likes this.
  21. Acerholic

26th April 2022 and at last the leaves are coming thick and fast now. A very slow start to the year here in Southern England.
    Black Lace April 26th 2022.JPG

D97x7 likes this.
  22. Acerholic

6th May 2022 and I think if you like a really dark leaf alongside a yellow or chartreuse green, then this is for for you.
    Black Lace May 6th 2022.JPG

23. Acerholic

20th May 2022 and one of the dark reds in my collection is doing really well this year.
    Black Lace May 20th 2022.JPG

24. Acerholic

29th May 2022 and as asked for, tree and leaf.
    Black Lace 29th May 2022.JPG Black Lace 29th May 2022 (2).JPG

D97x7 and Xi-feng like this.
  25. Xi-feng

Xi-feng Rising Contributor

My Black Lace arrived at the start of the week, after sitting in a box over the scorching heat of the weekend. It's done quite well with only a bit of frazzle on the leaf tips - placed it in a sunny spot and have left it to get on with things!

20220625 Black Lace.jpg

Acerholic and D97x7 like this.