Acer palmatum 'Ao meshime no uchi'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by maplesmagpie, Mar 25, 2015.

1. maplesmagpie

maplesmagpie Active Member

Esveld describes it as "Semi-upright species with deeply incised leaves. The size after 10 years is 2,5 m. The leaf colour is green. This plant is hardy. " On their site it is also called "Ao meshime no uchi shidare." Does anyone have information on this cultivar? I see it at Esveld, and it was listed at Topiary Gardens before selling out (she's grafting more), but otherwise I can find almost nothing about it.

It has a beautiful leaf shape-- This cultivar was posted on a facebook group last fall, causing a short sensation that bought out all the available trees at Topiary Gardens. I copied the photo and posted it below.

Does anyone here have it?

Fall photo credit: Agustin Coello-Vera. Summer photo credit: PlantenTuin Esveld

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
  2. maplesmagpie

Thanks to Mr. Maple, I finally have my hands on this cultivar!

It's surprisingly furry on the new leaves and growth. These are early spring photos:

Attached Files:

3. maplesmagpie

June photo update:

Attached Files:

4. maplesmagpie

More photos from the fall. I'm very impressed with this cultivar, and I appreciate its vivid gold color in the fall. Looking online there are not many photos, but there is one (copied below) of a more mature cultivar and it has a pleasing, open, wide form.

Photo link: Dendrologie online

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
  5. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

This is the link for that photo: Dendrologie online. Please credit (with a link) photos that are not yours, even if they seem to be posted for sharing.

That furriness really is nice, though I had thought that was supposed to be a useful identifier for A. japonicum. Now it seems that's not reliable. Or maybe that's just if the hairs persist on the older leaves.

maplesmagpie likes this.