Acer oliverianum 'Hot Tamale'

Discussion in 'Maple Photo Gallery' started by LoverOfMaples, Apr 25, 2021.

1. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

MrMaple description

THERE HAVE BEEN RUMORS ABOUT THIS RED ACER OLIVERIANUM SELECTION THAT COULD HANDLE FULL SUN WITHOUT BURNING IN MUCH HOTTER ZONES THAN THE TYPICAL JAPANESE MAPLE, ACER PALMATUM. NURSERYMEN HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR THIS TREE FOR YEARS IN JAPAN. THE SEARCH FOR THE 'HOT TAMALE' JAPANESE MAPLE IS OVER.
    'HOT TAMALE' IS A RARE JAPANESE SELECTION OF A HEAT TOLERANT CHINESE MAPLE THAT LEAFS OUT AS BRIGHT RED TO DEEP BURGUNDY. 'HOT TAMALE' WAS FOUND AS A CHANCE SEEDLING BY THE FAMOUS JAPANESE AUTHOR AND MAPLE EXPERT, MASAYOSHI YANO AND WAS GIVEN THE WORKING CODE NAME OF "NAKAHARA BEN B". WE LATER OBTAINED PERMISSION TO CALL THIS CULTIVAR 'HOT TAMALE', ADDING THIS TO OUR HEATSEEKERS SERIES™ OF HEAT TOLERANT JAPANESE MAPLES FOR THE SOUTH.

BY LATE SPRING THE LEAVES ON THIS JAPANESE MAPLE MATURE TO A PLEASANT OLIVE GREEN. MID-SUMMER FLUSHES OF NEW GROWTH ON 'HOT TAMALE' ARE A BRIGHT RED, MAKING A GREAT CONTRAST WITH THE OLDER GROWTH. IN THE AUTUMN, 'HOT TAMALE' WILL DAZZLE YOU WITH BRIGHT YELLOWS AND ORANGE-REDS TO BRIGHT CRIMSON LEAVES. 'HOT TAMALE' IS SURE TO MAKE A SPLASH IN YOUR GARDEN. 'HOT TAMALE' REACHES 10-12 FEET IN HEIGHT IN 15 YEARS MAKING A SMALL TO MID-SIZED TREE.

Attached Files:

2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Is that today's photo D? I ask because of Mr Maple description. It did say that it turns bottle green in late Spring.
    I think you are going to have the whole forum watching this thread this year.
    Well done for getting hold of it. Treat with kid gloves as they say..

3. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

So why does he shout like that ? Rumours are to be passed in a more discreet way... ;0)

rumor.jpg

LoverOfMaples likes this.
  4. AlainK

PS : listening to "Late that Night" by Emery Davis Quartet with a "pint of sheep"... ^_^

5. LoverOfMaples

Yes it was about an hr ago. I have seen the deep green yet or can't remember. Lol. We will see as time pass. With the temps it seem like early spring. Winter really runs a bit into spring here.

6. AlainK

Strange weather here too : 22°C this afternoon, but the wind (50 km/h - about 30+ miles per hour, north-west) was very cold.

I had to water my potted trees again tonight, the leaves were beginning to droop. Crazy weather...

7. LoverOfMaples

Update :

Attached Files:

Acerholic and AlainK like this.
  8. Acerholic

Hot Tamale, Hot Blonde, it's a hot, hot, hot day for you D. Lol.
    If you have any heat spare do send some over here !!!

Loving the mix of the colours of this one D. Do they stay throughout the Summer months ? This is such a new cultivar and relatively unknown over here, apart from seeing yours, it will be fascinating to see your updates.

9. LoverOfMaples

No heat my way yet D. Maybe in a few more weeks.

I don't remember the summer color of this one but 'Hot Blonde' stay that pretty yellow in full sun all summer.

10. Acerholic

That is brilliant D. So many turn green, but to have a yellow all Summer is just what so many of us look for. It will come over the pond in a decade or so. Patience is required. Lol.

LoverOfMaples likes this.
  11. LoverOfMaples

Maybe before D ;)

12. Acerholic

I have everything crossed D, Lol.