Acer buergerianum 'Mino Yatsubusa'

Discussion in 'Maple Photo Gallery' started by gin-ger, May 20, 2007.

1. gin-ger

gin-ger Active Member

Imagine my delight at finding this lovely little tree at a local nursery yesterday!
    OOPS!
    In my excitement, I posted before researching....this is Acer
    buergerianum 'Mino yatsubusa' and I mistakenly put it in the A. palmatum forum. Sorry

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 20, 2007
  2. amazingmaples

amazingmaples Well-Known Member 10 Years

It is a great little tree

Attached Files:

• 105.jpg
      105.jpg
      File size:
      525.6 KB
      Views:
  3. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

How big do you expect this to get? Mine isn't very happy in a pot so I'd like to get it into the ground. But I have to find a place where it won't outgrow but also not get lost. TIA.

4. amazingmaples

amazingmaples Well-Known Member 10 Years

I saw one several years back which i just missed buying, it went to someone in Canada. I believe it was about 4' tall and maybe 5' wide with about a 4" caliper trunk. (this is from my memory so size may vary a bit). that tree has a perfect canopy and was a standout tree for a small garden space. I have had a couple over the years and i feel like they never grow any larger. Even though it is a great little tre it is not a hot seller but i find droopy green leaf tress are not the easiest for me to find homes. For me, Mino yatsubusa always has a home in my garden.

Charlie

5. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

I have been considering a 6' #20 at a great price locally and I am wondering if anyone has an update on this variety? Good/bad/ or advice like fall colors are best in x sun, ect..

Thanks in advance!

6. emery

Hi John, mine is still alive and looking better than in the past although this year has been so cold and wet that nothing has grown a lot. Since 2008 I have managed to graduate it to a 12 liter pot. It's about 2 foot wide, maybe 8" tall. Has been in full sun all year but there hasn't been much, normally it's more glossy and darker green.

Bought it as a new graft with the intention of getting in ground asap, now 8 years later I'm still trying! It took the graft union maybe 4 years to heal. All this said it's a wonderful plant, really nice fall colors as Charlie showed. Just hard to grow, for me anyway! Would be great to grow in a container, you'd hardly ever need to root prune.

Last repotted in '14 but now has filled the 12l, so I will plant next spring, finally.

All the best,

-E

Attached Files:

JT1 likes this.
  7. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

Thank you Emery!
    I was trying to figure out how to fit one into our landscape as space has become a premium, so a pot would work great. Thanks for all the detailed feedback. All the best,
    John

8. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

Here is our new #20 Acer buergerianum 'Mino Yatsubusa' from Leuty nursery. Its about 6.5' tall not counting the pot. Joe the owner said they had the tree for so long (well over 2 decades) that he was kind of sad to see it go. The original grower was Buchholz Nursery. We have a picture from summer after it came home and a few from this fall. We had a very harsh summer (and it was transported from the nursery on a very hot sunny day), so it shows some signs of stress on about 10% of the leaves. I am sure it will look great next year.

Attached Files:

Acerholic and AlainK like this.
  9. emery

Wow, that's spectacular! can't tell from the pictures, is it a solitaire graft, or has it actually been trained up high like that?

Thanks for sharing!

10. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

Thank you! I'm glad you like it.

It's been trained up high, the graft is about 3" from the soil. The trunk is nice and straight with rough bark. Then it has several branches off the straight trunk to form the dense canopy.

11. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

Here's the start of fall colors.

Attached Files:

Acerholic and AlainK like this.
  12. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

This fall was the rainiest with unrelenting grey skies which may have brought out the yellow. I think the pink highlights are kind of cool!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
    Acerholic and LoverOfMaples like this.
  13. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Attached Files:

14. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

I thought i posted this guy but I guess not. This is my 'Mino Yatsubusa' and this is it's sec year in the ground.

Attached Files:

AlainK and emery like this.