2 plants to identify

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by sabagal, Apr 26, 2007.

1. sabagal

sabagal Member

I work at a children's garden and we were given several plants that are supposed to be edible wild greens. I am unable to id them with my resources and would like some help. I don't want to plant these unless I know what they are and if they really are edible. I also am very careful that I have accurate information on the sign of each plant.

The top row pics 1-3 the lady who donated them said were called "crow's foot". I can't find anything that looks like it. She did not have flower info but according to another member of our garden flowers should be yellow. Pic 4 and the others she called "carpenter's square". The best I could find was Scrophularia nodosa. The root section grows horizontal and looks almost like a rhizome. The stem is square with very hard corners. Flowering on this plant is also unknown. The leaves are not shiny but slightly rough.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. tipularia

tipularia Well-Known Member 10 Years

The first one looks like a Geranium, sometimes called crow's foot. Don't know about it being edible.

3. tipularia

The one with the reddish stems might be rubarb.

4. sabagal

sabagal Member

Interesting!! a geranium is one of the options I found but couldn't find that stem and leaf combination exactly. It is definitely not rhubarb. I am from rhubarb country and know it well. I will have to research the geranium more. Maybe I didn't get deep enough. Thanks tipularia.

5. tipularia

You might also try searching Ranunculus