Identification: 2 office plants - photos attached

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Mike_Strickland, May 15, 2006.

1. Mike_Strickland

Mike_Strickland Member

Hi;

A couple of plants in the office have been entrusted to my care - I've repotted them, cleared off dead foliage, and given them a bit more light & water, and they are perking up, but I don't have a clue what they are.

The first has leaves which are deep green & smooth above, but red & hairy below, with red stems.

The second was almost gone when I got it, and it's only slowly recovering so the foliage is still thin; it's got a straight woody trunk and smooth, slim green leaves

photos below (apologies for image quality) - any clues for watering/feeding/light? thanks for sparing a minute to read this,

Mike S.

Attached Files:

2. globalist1789

globalist1789 Active Member

The first looks like a cane-type begonia, and the second is a ficus of some sort.

3. Rima

Rima Active Member

Let the ficus dry out a fair bit before watering again and keep it in as much sun (within reason) as possible. If you can, put a wide saucer (like big plastic drainage ones for big pots... cheap at Wal-Mart) underneath, fill it with big pebbles and water and put the pot on top - but never let the water be high enough to touch the pot bottom or roots will rot. This will provide extra humidity for it (and it will thank you!).

4. oscar

oscar Active Member

Group house plants together allow space between, for air to circulate, they will help to look after each other (not like in a sence one will go and get the watering can) but the humidity levels will be higher (transpiration and all that sort of thing)

5. Mike_Strickland

Mike_Strickland Member

Thanks very much for the pointers and advice - I've 'googled' the suggestions to 'home in', and I think it's begonia semperflorens (just with very few leaves left!) & ficus benjamina. I'll try to improve the humidity for that ficus, and get it a bit more light too.

Cheers,

Mike S