Identification: 2 dying trees - how can revive them

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by helhady, Apr 3, 2007.

1. helhady

helhady Member

I have 2 different kinds of trees that are dying, I don't know what are they called. I had these tree for about 3 years, about 6 months ago they started to look unhealthy, I was not sure what to do, I tried to water them more often, but that didn't help, I used fertilizer , and also nothing help, I exposed them to more sun light, still they kept getting worse. they both lost most of their leaves .

I would really appreciate it if anyone can help me ID them, or give me any advise on how I might help them recover. Thanks.
    IMG_4612.JPG

IMG_4613.JPG

2. globalist1789

globalist1789 Active Member

They are both types of Ficus Benjamina. The good news it that they drop leaves like no other tropical I know. The bad news is that more water and fertilization would only have made matters worse.

Step one--hold off on the water until the top 1/3 of the soil is dry and don't let the pot sit in water. Does the pot have drainage holes?

Step two--don't feed it for a good long time.

Step three--read about ficus care.

This should be a good start.

PS: I've seen F. Benjaminas that look a LOT worse then that, so don't worry.

3. Marn

Marn Active Member 10 Years

they are also a very picky plant .. they do not like to be moved at all .. they throw a fit and drop there leaves... but they do love the first thing morning sun and do well with it .. so i would just stick it in a window with the morning sun and leave it and water it only when it really needs it and it should get over the pouting .. :)

Marn

4. helhady

helhady Member

globalist1789 & Marn, thank you very much for your advise. I'm going to do some reading about Ficus Benjamina care, and I hope the trees will recover.