Invasives: 100 of the World's Worst Invasive Alien Species

Discussion in 'Plants: Conservation' started by Lysichiton, Oct 7, 2008.

1. Lysichiton

Lysichiton Active Member

This covers a wide variety of organisms. Prepared & published by the World Conservation Union.

http://issg.org/worst100_species.html

Scary reading.

I notice my lietmotif - Japanese knotweed (Polygonum cuspidatum/Fallopia japonica etc. etc.) makes the list.

gb

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2010
  2. edleigh7

edleigh7 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the link, it is a bit scary, will have more of a look when I have more time GB

Ed

3. Lysichiton

Lysichiton Active Member

I found the link on the site of the Invasive Plant Council of BC which is newly renovated & improved. A good resource for Provincial gardeners, professionals & students alike.

gb

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

There's large choking patches of knotweed in the mountains near here, although it may be the hybrid derivative Bohemian knotweed rather than pure Japanese knotweed - I haven't looked up close.

5. Lysichiton

Lysichiton Active Member

Ron B...don't look at the naming & idnetification of these, unless you want a headache or an argument! JMHO. The one I have documented in this corner of the Fraser Valley, I believe to clearly be Polygonum cuspidatum. I have seen no variation in physical characteristics apart from size. Since it almost exclusively propagates vegetatively, much of the material may be genetically identical.

I am watching a few clumps where it is duking it out with Himalayan Blackberry. Over the next couple of years I will be interested to see which one wins. No odds offered by me. Native plants don't stand a chance in that overwhelming duel..

I also check each stand for disease & predation. If I were as healthy as this stuff, the health care providers would be out of business.

It's sole redeeming feature in our area is that the honeybees LOVE it in Aug/Sep.

gb

6. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Not to mention, whether it's a species of Polygonum, Fallopia or Reynoutria ;-)

7. Lysichiton

Lysichiton Active Member

I refuse to rise to the bait!

gb