Zamioculcas Zamiifolia, ZZ Plant info needed

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Sandra75, Jan 2, 2008.

1. Sandra75

Sandra75 Active Member

I just bought a ZZ plant. Longest is about 23 inches tall and have about 7 smaller ones in a 6" plastic pot. How big should I go with my pot? and when is the best time to re-pot? Looks like her pot is so small there are some big roots coming out of the pot. Also what is the best soil? Thanks for your help!!

Attached Files:

2. Bluewing

Bluewing Well-Known Member

Your Zz looks great! Spring might be a better time to repot it though, clay pots are better to use for this aroid since they are porous and the soil will dry out faster. Zzs don't like wet soil. As far as pot size, go up one pot size larger. A fast draining soil is best. Adding Perlite to the soil will help it drain and keep it airy. In the meantime, you can hide the plastic pot down inside another one you might like that looks of better.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2008
  3. Sandra75

Sandra75 Active Member

Super! thanks :D

4. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

Many professionals including curators of botanical gardens have learned Zamioculcas zamiifolia will tolerate a much wider range of watering conditions than previously suspected. It is true the plant is found in dry conditions in the plant's native area but many gardens now grow it in near tropical conditions with excellent results. I've been growing one in a tropical atrium that is quite wet for over two years with no problem. Others water them once a month, sometimes less, also with no difficulty. This link will give you quotes on the plant from experts including botanists. You may just be surprised at what they have to say.

http://www.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=29376
    &highlight=Zamioculcas+zamiifolia

Size is difficult to speculate since all the previously thought "species" have now been scientifically combined into a single species. Apparently the plant is capable of many different sizes. Some sources say it can only grow to around 20 inches (51cm) but that is now no longer correct since botanically there is now only a single species.

http://www.exoticrainforest.com/Zamioculcas zamiifolia pc.html

5. Bluewing

I saw a few Zzs last year in Lowe's, some under a foot tall and a few others they had were huge! At least four of them were 4' tall with very thick stems and the bulbs were very fat. I just never thought they grew that tall!

6. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

And that is the common misconception. As a result, many tried to promote the idea there had to be more than a single species. But examination of both the plant and the spathe and spadix produced when ready to be pollinated indicated to scientists they are all the same species. Aroid Dr. Tom Croat has said to me on several occasions that size has nothing to do with species. Many aroids are extremely variable and produce plants that look quite different, and have different eventual sizes, based more on where and how they are grown than anything else. Vining types can produce variable leaves on the same vine! Variability is often a difficult concept for collectors to accept. But in the world of aroids, those variables are quite common.

A great example is Philodendron hederaceum. That species has close to 20 different scientific names because it can look so different from region to region, country to country. Guaranteed, many who will read this know it as Philodendrons scandens, Philodendron acrocardium, Philodendron micans, Philodendron miduhoi or one of many other names. But scientifically, they are all the same species. They just don't look alike, or are not the same size very much like people in Asia don't look like people in parts of Africa and other parts of the world. But all humans are the same species. Just like aroids, humans are quite variable. Think about it. I guarantee all of us know families who have children much taller or shorter than other siblings. Or children that are much heavier than their own brothers and sisters. Very different offspring from the same parents.

I have a very knowledgeable friend who simply does not like the concept that plants that are so different should be "lumped" into the same species. I guess that is why they were given different names by a variety of botanists. If for no other reason so we as collectors can sort them in our own minds. But to a scientist, all those names are simply synonyms of the same base species.

But feel free to call them as you choose, unless of course you are writing a scientific paper!

Last edited: Jan 3, 2008
  7. Bluewing

Thank you for your very informative post. Your truly a wealth of information!

8. Sandra75

Sandra75 Active Member

Thank you for all the info!!! :D

9. edleigh7

edleigh7 Well-Known Member

Yes they do tolerate a wide variety of conditions. Mine has been dry for 8 monthss, only getting watered when it rains (not much) and was in filtered light. We have know had near on 2 months of rain and my tree fell down, now it is full sun. The only difference is that is has slightly brown edges on the leaves. This amazing plant will tolerate most conditions...

Ed