Yew tip is turning yellow

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by BonBonFan, May 7, 2016.

1. BonBonFan

BonBonFan New Member

We recently planted some new yews for our front yard as hedges. The top of the trees looked very yellow and dried. Is the Yew dying or just a lack of water? We planted the yews 2 weeks ago and water them every 3 days or so. Thanks!

2. tsugajunkie

tsugajunkie Active Member

A picture would help, but 2 weeks is quite quick. Check the moisture 3-4 inches down to see if its wet or dry. How were they planted?
    tj

3. BonBonFan

BonBonFan New Member

We hired someone to plant the trees but I think they plant it with the burlap container that came with the tree. The trees have been planted almost 4 weeks now (4 weeks this Saturday). And I have been watering the trees every other day after I started noticing that the trees are turning yellow.

Attached Files:

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Are they still wrapped in the burlap below ground?

5. BonBonFan

BonBonFan New Member

Yup, I believe so by the gardener who planted them. I read something online that it is better to plant with burlap intact or it is killing the trees? I am not sure if I should water them once a day to make sure they have enough water or am I watering too much and damaging their roots? The soil around the roots (3 inches down) are usually moist.

6. tsugajunkie

tsugajunkie Active Member

Burlap is not the best underground. You may want to make sure they at least got rid of the twine around the trunk. Dig down to make sure. When you water, make sure the rootball gets thoroughly wet and then don't water again until the soil is dry a good 3-4 inches below the soil. Depending on rain, your soil and other factors that may take 1 week or several weeks between waterings.
    tj