Wodyetia bifurcata:

Discussion in 'Plant Propagation' started by LeftCoastAngler, Jun 11, 2009.

1. LeftCoastAngler

LeftCoastAngler Active Member

The FoxTail Palm. I've managed to germinate around fifty of these little rascals! It'll be a palm oasis out back in five or so years! I'm not sure on the growth rate of these as seedlings... Anyone?

~LCA.

Attached Files:

2. 1001plants

1001plants Member

Mine, first sprouted a year ago and have grown 30cm since then. They have been in a shaded compost heap with no added fertiliser or special attention. As these palms grow in very exposed habitat around granite rocks I think they would probably grow faster in a higher light environment with summer rains.

3. LeftCoastAngler

Any photos you'd like to share?
    Mine are now in 1gal containers and have broke the soil line around 2inches... Not quite as fast as I've seen in other freshly germinated palms like Veitcha arecina and Veitcha winin... These are actually considerably slower than the Veitchas... The Veitchas have already shown fully open bifid leaves and are almost 7inches tall. I love it.

Are you anywhere near Cape Melville on Cape York?
    If so, any possibility of you getting some 'habitat' photos here for me?
    I know, it's probably asking alot, but if by chance you could...
    Thanks mate.

~LCA.

4. 1001plants

1001plants Member

No, sorry no photos-Im many miles away from their native habitat. Brisbane, where I am is sub - tropical much cooler than Cape Melville etc. I have never seen them in habitat but an avenue of very large ones are in a park nearby. I've never grown palm from seed before but a friend had a styrofoam box full of sprouted ones which he had collected and left in the garden, forgotten, they had become covered with leaves and debris and just sprouted - No soil, just leaves. I tried some as soon as I got seed but after 2 years no sign of life, threw them away into compost heap and six months later seeds sprouting everywhere. My friend had tried many times before but had'nt had any luck. I think the hardest thing for a gardener is to know when to just leave plants alone. Im not very patient but always put "failed" seed into the compost "just in case" Its amazing what a very acidic environment can do to stubborn seed.

5. malcolmc

malcolmc Member

I'm kicking myself because I spent many years collecting Wodyetia seed at Cape Melville, but never took one photo! I would be happy to provide any growing info as I have done plenty of that as well.

6. LeftCoastAngler

Go ahead and post some pics Malcolm...
    Mine are just seedlings still... Nothing much to see yet...
    How many have you grown from seed?

~LCA.

7. malcolmc

malcolmc Member

LCA,
    Thanks for your reply. Unfortunatly I don't have any pics. I'm actually in the States now, but lived in Australia for twenty years. It was then that I did my Wodyetia collecting and growing at Rosebud Farm (Kuranda, Australia). If you go to their web site you'll see lots of good growing tips for all palms. I am excited to be sprouting some seed I just got however. I've constructed a minnie hot house. Heat is critical, (especially bottom heat) and it's cold and rainy here in Maine!
    Sincerely, Malcolm

8. LeftCoastAngler

I've decided to do doubles... I don't see alot of them around like this so this may be a good idea? Customers may like it because they'll get more palm for their buck so to speak...

~LCA.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 11, 2009
  9. LeftCoastAngler

Here they are at about seven months from germination... They're moving right along rather well... The main stalks are thick and all thicker than 1/4" @ the base where it meets the soil line... The seeds still don't want to pull off the bases yet...

Attached Files: