Identification: Winter hardy tree fungi

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by RPBnimrod, Mar 6, 2009.

1. RPBnimrod

RPBnimrod Active Member

I found all three of these species growing out of one of the trees in my grandfather's backyard. The tree was probably a living oak tree. I took these photos about a week ago on Long Island. The temperature was a little lower than 32 degrees, and it ha recently stopped snowing that day (or the day before, I can't fully remember). #3305, I couldn't even reach, so the photo is the only thing to judge what species it is by. #3263 was so leathery and thick-skinned that I couldn't get a piece of it. #3361 was my favorite. it is a jelly fungus of some sort. It felt like a combination of leather, jello, and bread. It was growing throughout the nooks and crannies of the bark of the tree, in an upward pattern. I would really like to know what species these are. Anyone know?

Attached Files:

2. MycoRob

MycoRob Active Member

Excellent fungi! The first is 'witch's butter', Tremella mesenterica or Dacrymyces palmatus (or something else in the Tremella group) depending on what tree it is. The polypores in #2 and #3 could be a few things too.

3. RPBnimrod

RPBnimrod Active Member

Thanks a lot! I think that you're right! However, I have found some new fungi on some gravestones, about three days ago, and was wondering if these could be identified. There in the same area as the previous fungi.

4. RPBnimrod

RPBnimrod Active Member

it won't let me upload my photo

5. MycoRob

MycoRob Active Member

try starting a new thread - inquiring minds want to see the new mushroom.

6. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

You're second photo looks much like our 'Thin Mazed Polypores'.......or Daedaleopsis confragosa. Not sure about the 3rd polypore...
    You'll find in the winter-times that the shelf/bracket polypore type fungi THRIVES!
    If you can start another thread with the photos of u'r graveyard buddies we'd love to see!

7. fish dr

fish dr Active Member

THERE SEEMS TO BE SOME TROUBLE WITH THE SERVER. I had trouble uploading photos for my recent Coprinus visitation. It will work in this same thread....eventually.

8. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

If you're computer is anything like mine? I have to load up smaller images that are only about 100jpg rather then something that is 600+jpg in order for them to work?

9. RPBnimrod

RPBnimrod Active Member

I had an unfortunate malfunction with my computers harddrive. The photos might have been destroyed. It will take some time to get the photos, let alone if I will ever get them back. I'm very sorry.