Which veggies do you put together?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by Saskia, Sep 27, 2005.

1. Saskia

Saskia Member

Hello ,

I want to start my vegetable garden in Spring. I have around 80 square meters of garden to use and never had this much land before to grow vegetables.

My question is now....which kind of vegetables can you put next to eachother , and which ones not?
    Or...is there a website where they give you details about how to plant the vegetables / seeds?

When you need to know what kind of veggies I will plant....
    I think I will plant any common vegetables . I have a long list of what I'm going to plant so....

Hope someone can give me some advice.

thanks!
    Saskia

Thanks for all the advice I received!
    Now I can make a plan.
    :-)

2. growest

growest Active Member 10 Years

Saskia--the most important thing about grouping veggies I've found...

Keep the plants that need to stay dry in late summer together, away from those that need lots of water all the time.

For us, the garlic, onions and tomatoes have to stay dry as summer progresses, for curing and avoiding diseases.

Other plants like pole beans and celery need lots of water, as do the salad leafy things like lettuce to keep them from getting tough and bitter.

Also think about corn and pole beans shading other plants, keep them to the north, or plant shade tolerant things like salad greens to the north of their tall shading rows.

Glen

3. Carol Ja

Carol Ja Active Member 10 Years

If your looking on the web you can type in companion planting. There are quite a few web sites that talk about it.
    Carol Ja