What's the weather like ?...

Discussion in 'Maples' started by AlainK, Jul 28, 2020.

1. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

2. Keith Elliott

Keith Elliott Contributor

Somewhat cooler here this morning. -18.9ºC with horizontal snow blowing. Supposedly only -24º with the wind chill. Our carport has about 5 cms of snow inside, even up on the shelves. That's how breezy it is. Hopefully, everyone else is a little warmer.

3. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

+7C tonight here. By the middle of the week we are going to be up to (+) 15C highs and night lows of 12C. Said to be lasting from Wednesday through Friday and then cooling down to 12 or 13C highs over the weekend.

4. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Just saw what M @maf wrote about the temps this week in Northamptonshire. Well here near the South Coast of England it's going to be +16°c here on Wednesday. How weired is that for late December. What is to come in January!!?
    At least those on the forum from BC are having a very traditional Christmas time 'weather' wise.

D

maf likes this.
  5. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Yes, while I am going to try to make the most of the warm weather I would really rather it was a more seasonal temerature.

6. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

I can't remember when we've had such a long stretch of snowy days and very cold lows here on the BC west coast. Snow is usually a rare occurrence here; many years have none at all.
    Some of my plants, especially the maples and rhodos should have the snow knocked off but, with a foot of snow on the uneven ground and stairs, I don't dare venture out.
    Here is Acer 'Seiryu'
    Acer 'Seiryu' in the snow 12-2021.JPG

Attached Files:

emery, Acerholic and Keith Elliott like this.
  7. Worldly_Wrangler

Worldly_Wrangler Active Member

Margot, same thing here in Cashmere. Though we usually get snow, it usually melts quickly. This year it’s snowing almost every day and is too cold to melt.

I am upset because snow slid off my roof and broke one of only three branches off of my ‘Winter’s Columnar Red’. It was a clean break at the trunk so I think it should recover. May have to move it in the spring.

I picked a great year to get into maples. Record heat in the summer and lower temperatures than normal!

emery, Georgia Strait and Margot like this.
  8. Keith Elliott

Well Margot, I don't blame you for not going outside in this weather. Much like you we have a little over a foot of snow on the ground. No chance that any of it is going to melt for some time.

It is somewhat before midnight here as I write this, and it is -20.9ºC. That's cold, and it looks like it will be dropping further tonight. But thankfully the wind has stopped.

Sadly, much like Worldly_Wrangler above, I also got back into the maples this year. Really not holding out too much hope that any of them will survive.

emery, Worldly_Wrangler and Margot like this.
  9. AlainK

It's about the same here.
    I don't know, but we very often have a cold snap in February. That's what happened last year, the trees began to flower, then bang! frost for several days, down to -5°C.

Romain01 likes this.
  10. Keith Elliott

It's -22.2ºC here this morning and the lake has what we call ice fog from the west. I'll try to see if I can get a pic.

11. Acerholic

Oh no, please not that again !!!!

12. Keith Elliott

IMG_7546.JPG Tried two shots...not sure how it worked.

emery, Georgia Strait and Margot like this.
  13. Keith Elliott

Well, that wasn't much good, was it?

14. Acerholic

Hi Keith, well it shows all the trees there are fast asleep. I think mine will be waking up this week.

D

Keith Elliott likes this.
  15. Keith Elliott

Our slightly longer range forecast shows a high of -5ºC on January 3rd. I think that might be a definite maybe. Not too many trees waking up here D.

16. Acerholic

You are right there Keith. Our forecasts are now saying a possible +17 or even 18°C on New years eve. The record is 14.8 ° C in 2011. I know a lot of people are very happy as the gas bills are down a little.
    But I would be happier knowing my trees are sound asleep.

D

AlainK and Keith Elliott like this.
  17. Keith Elliott

Time for you to break out the swimsuits and head for Brighton beach!

emery, AlainK and Acerholic like this.
  18. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    Not sure when polar bears swim is at Brighton Beach :)

@Keith Elliott i Hope you’re both safe and warm with plumbing that works (I know that is an odd comment tho two neighbors here at ocean Vanc have frozen pipes which is messy apart from taking some garden budget $ — i bet you dealt many times with island frozen as you’ve described herein)

it is indeed cold
    I just heard a hummingbird flitting about and we are doing our best as are many people in this forum to help our shared fauna and flora

Keith Elliott likes this.
  19. AlainK

Very mild end of December. Rainy this morning, but fairly sunny this afternoon, 13°C.

The Chaenomeles and the Prunus mume have buds that are beginning to swell. A bit too early I'm afraid...

jardin_211228a.jpg chaeno-sp._211228a.jpg ume03_211228a.jpg

emery and Acerholic like this.
  20. Acerholic

Oh so similar here as well Alain. The forecasters are saying that January is going to get very cold, so those poor buds are going to get hit. But fingers crossed they will survive.

D

AlainK likes this.
  21. AlainK

It's hard to believe that we'll have these temps on Wednesday night/Friday morning :

Clipboard02.jpg

On the same site, they say the max temps for Thursday afternoon will be 14.3. Then, it will cool down with night temps around 6-7 and 12-13 in the afternoon.
    "Pleinchamp" is the favourite site for many professionals, so I think that they can reasonably be trusted.

22. AlainK

It's not that unusual though for Chinese quince to flower early, and they can resist the frost better than apricots. Two years ago, 3 fruit formed but they aborted before being mature. Last years, lots of flowers, not a single fruit. I was hoping to taste "Japanese apricot" in 2022, I'm afraid it won't be the case.

23. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

this weekend we suppose to be mid 50s days and low 50s night. its crazy, but ill take it. then back to freezing ( mid 30s and low 20s) :(

AlainK likes this.
  24. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

That would really be disastrous, we've had bad spring freezing 2 years in a row, with very significant damage. I still have a couple of larger trees to dig/pull out, but there are almost certainly some more that will be finished if it happens again.

I just ordered some burlap wrap today, to try and get some protection in spring. Normally I've avoided this as it does trap moisture in, but it seems like the lesser of two evils.

Been warm here too. Windy today, though the weather station is not yet in its permanent location and so is to sheltered to show the wind speeds accurately.

My sister lives in Brighton (though not on the beach!) and we seem to share similar weather. Brighton is a really fun town in any weather, though the beach is all stone!

Lots of sympathies for folks in BC and the North West, we've been following the weather and it seems just miserable frankly. Hang in there!

-E

maf, Margot and AlainK like this.
  25. AlainK

10°C to 12.5°C : yes, that's crazy...

Fingers crossed...