What would you plant?

Discussion in 'Maples' started by kgeezy20, Sep 15, 2018.

1. kgeezy20

kgeezy20 Active Member Maple Society

Hey everyone.

So my father has tasked me with deciding on what tree (or two) to plant in his backyard to provide some shade on a wall that tends to get very hot in the summer and thus heat up the house. His only requirements are that it be somewhere in the 15-25' tall range and not be notorious for surface roots that may cause problems when he mows.

The area is zone 6b/7a and gets full sun. I'm looking for some neat suggestions. What Acer would you plant?

2. maplesandpaws

maplesandpaws Active Member

Seiryu, Emperor 1, Nuresagi will all get that big, fairly quickly, and can easily take the heat/sun. There are probably other cultivars that would work, but those 3 I have personal experience with. Another option would be a species trident maple, as they grow big and fast (my trident, first year in the ground, put on 10 ft; this, its second year, has also had a good 5ft of growth, but a lot of filling out from the main branches from last year). Typically no surface root issues from those as far as I know. Shantung maples might be yet another option, but I'm not terribly familiar with them.