Identification: What kind of succulents are these?

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by Chester, Oct 10, 2008.

1. Chester

Chester Active Member 10 Years

Hi there, I have these 2 kinds of succulents I need help identifying (the two on the right came from the same plant). My first reaction to the leafy one was some kind of kalanchoe. The plant was quite large and had a 'woody' stem not unlike a mature jade. What was curious is that the smaller cutting has alternate leaves, and the larger one has opposite (?).

The cacti was just one I picked up as it reminded me slightly of my peanut cactus (which I love). Would sure appreciate some feedback...

Attached Files:

2. Cereusly Steve

Cereusly Steve Active Member

Don't have a good idea of the size of the plants and the pots from the picture.

The cactus certainly does look like the "Peanut Cactus" Echinopsis chamaecereus.

The other two are a Kalanchoe hybrid. Both plants have opposite leaves (leaves in pairs).

3. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

Two on right appear to be Kalanchoe.

HTH
    Chris

4. Chester

Well, like I said, I think they might be kalanchoe, but don't know what kind...

5. Cereusly Steve

You are not going to get any answer more specific than it being a Kalanchoe cultivar, especially without seeing it in bloom. There is nothing particularly unusual or outstanding about the plant to make it easy to ID.

6. Chester

CS your reply had a delay and so that query lost its flow.

The 2 'kalanchoe' cuttings are from the same plant. The larger has opposite leaves while the smaller has alternate. The newest growth on the smaller cutting appears to be growing leaves that are now opposite.

The pots are 4, 3 and 2 inches in size for those who want to take a stab at specifics. There are only so many kinds of kalanchoe available commercially in Canada, which is why this one is a novelty.

7. Rosemarie

Rosemarie Active Member

8. Cereusly Steve

Definitely not Crassula multicava. You don't need to wait for the flowers. The leaves don't have the pits on the surface (hydathodes) typical for all Crassula species.

9. Chester

Rosemarie I think you are on to something. I'm quite the Crassula fan, but I haven't heard of that puppy, but a comparison of the photo to the plant shows they are more than close. Mine is etiolated as the Mama plant was growing in the North window of the place where I 'pruned' the plant. Well I do thank you for the tip!

Hey you cacti people , any further thoughts on my prickly friend?

10. Chester

I may have an answer to my own question. Apparently there has been some crossing between Lobivia and Chamaecereus (X Chamaelobivia) to produce different flower colors. My plant looks somewhat like these...

11. Rosemarie

Rosemarie Active Member

I'm glad to have helped out, Chester! Hope that tip pans out. :) Some of my Crassula multicava are in bloom now. Any sign of that happening on yours?

I was going to suggest a Chamealobivia hybrid for your pokey plant, but without a flower (sometimes even WITH) it's hard to say (for me, anyway).

Here's my x Chamaelobivia 'Rose Quartz':
    Perhaps you can compare when yours blooms.
    Yours could easily be a Echinopsis chamaecereus, as Steve suggested.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 18, 2008
  12. Chester

Hey again Rosemarie.

No, the C. multicava isn't blooming. I've just repotted the two rooted cuttings together into one pot, and other than sending out a whole lot of roots in a very short time (holy cow), they aren't doing much. Nice plants though. I'm glad to have an ID so I can look them up and see what they can do. The picture of the blooms is sure nice.

Your x chamaelobivia is just lovely. Such a color! They sure can come up with some stunning colors when they cross the two. Reminds me of some Echinopsis blooms that I've googled. Paramount hybrids as I recall. Not that we get anything like that up here without paying an arm and a couple of legs to import them. Oh well still nice to look.

Thanks again for the tip and picture...